Are you an aspiring DIY Fixer or Professional Contractor in search of an Amazing Battery operated Combo tool kit? One that holds all of the most utilized tools? Or maybe you’ve been using “Corded” tools for a while, and you’re about to dive into the pool of freedom known as “Cordless tools.”
Either way, you’re probably here searching for the answer to the question every handyman has asked themselves – and others, Which is the Best Cordless Combo Kit for Contractors and Homeowners?
In a hurry and don’t want to read the article? Our favorite toolkit is the Dewalt toolkit, and you can find it on Amazon by clicking here!
The Accelerated Journey
Okay, so maybe you aren’t too fond of journeys. We get it— you just want the meat and potatoes. No veggies, no dessert, just answers. Don’t worry -we’ll still take care of you. And by the way, Our pick for the Best cordless tools (Combo Kit) for contractors is the DeWalt DCK520D2. It simply outshines every other Combo Kit, but it does so with a pretty hefty price tag.
DeWalt is a company that has produced some of the most outstanding tools that western civilization has ever seen. Besides this kit covers all the basics, and has the tools you’ll need for most major jobs. That and the supreme life of their Lithium-Ion batteries.
Now Let’s get into today’s Tool Review!
Best Choices in 2019
|Editor’s Choice||Runner Up||Best Value|
|DEWALT DCK520D2 20V Max Lithium-Ion Cordless 5-Tool Combo Kit||Makita XT506S 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Cordless 5 Piece Combo Kit||PORTER-CABLE PCCK617L6 20V MAX Lithium Ion 6-Tool Combo Kit with Free USB Device|
|Buy on Amazon||Buy on Amazon||Buy on Amazon|
Why Go Cordless?
Contractors and Homeowners all over the globe have been trying to get the best cordless tools for their profession or DIY home projects. This complete assortment of Power Tools keeps you efficient, engaged with the job at hand, and if you’re a pro, it’s the reason you’re able to pay your bills. So it’s only natural that you want to have the best power equipment money can buy. Within reason that is.
But that same need for excellence has kept many a contractor tethered to their old equipment – and in a very real way. Carrying around 100-ft extension cords, way too heavy pneumatic pumps, and even sometimes portable generators. For years contractors have been literally (and figuratively) directly attached to their tools. Thanks to the incredible innovations in batteries and motors, those days are over. You can now embrace the freedom of having a full range of motion when working.
Let’s Check out the Best Choices Here:
- 20-volt Max Lithium-Ion Battery with 1/2″ Drill/Driver with 2-Speed Transmission
- 1/4″ Impact Driver with LED ring light
- 6 1/2″ Circular Saw with powerful 3700 RPM motor
- Flashlight with 110 Lumen LED Max power illumination and Rotating Head
- Reciprocating Saw with keyless blade clamp for super fast removal
- 2 – 20V Lithium-Ion Batteries with 2.0 Ah storage, and 3 – Year Battery Warranty
- Storage Bag
- Premium Price for the DeWalt brand commitment
DeWalt has long been a favorite of mine (and many other people), mainly because they just have a uniquely American quality about them. Excellence, durability, longevity, and efficiency are words you’ll frequently hear when someone is describing their DeWalt tools. Let’s check out the reasons for such avid support for these tools.
- ½” hammer drill
- ¼” Impact driver with 3700 rpm
- 6 1/2″ Circular Saw
- Reciprocating Saw
- LED work light
- Great toolbag
You will be hard pressed to find somebody who doesn’t just absolutely love this set. I know this because I looked for someone. The most common comment you’ll see is that these tools are solidly built, and crazy powerful.
The results are in, and we’ve decided that we love this tool set. But since we titled this “The Best Cordless Tools for Contractors” you already knew that. Sure, it is an expensive investment. But it isn’t that much more expensive than its competitors. And this is an investment that pays for itself. Plus it’ll last years. And if it doesn’t? Well, that is what the 3-year warranty and 1-year free service are for.
- Each of these tools operates at breakneck speeds and generate more power than you would have thought cordless tools can generate
- Comes with all of the most needed tools
- The flashlight battery lasts basically an entire work day (7.5 hours) on just one charge
- Lightweight enough to carry with you anywhere
- Makita also makes the best tool bags around – and this comes with one of those awesome bags
- Comes with two 18-volt lithium ion batteries
- 3 Year manufacturers warranty on the battery
- 30-day money back guarantee
- 18 Volt is a Shorter battery life than competitors.
- An LED Lamp would be better for battery life.
Makita is another company that comes out on the top of a lot of “best-of” articles like this. They are pioneers in the cordless tool industry and always seem to outdo themselves. What makes this combo kit so awesome is the power that each tool can generate. If power is your thing, then Makita needs to be your go-to company.
- Variable 2-Speed ½” hammer drill (600 rpm and 1900 rpm)
- Variable speed ¼” impact driver (2900 rpm and 3500 rpm)
- Reciprocating Saw (2800 strokes per minute)
- 6-½” circular saw
- 4-position flashlight
The innovative nature of this company is apparent the moment you lay your eyes on their tools. And it becomes even clearer once you begin using them. It is why the first thing anybody notices when using this tool is the speed and power that it can generate.
There is nothing quite like having speed and power right at your fingertips – and Makita provides just that. It’s what makes video games so fun. Nobody wants a slow and weak character in a game, just like nobody wants slow and weak tools. The first thing anybody notices when using this tool is the speed and power that it can generate.
This Makita set is chock full of innovation, and it’s a wonder they packed this much power into their tools. The only advice I would give is to find a larger volt battery maybe if you are going to be using these heavily. One extra hour of use can make all the difference in the world when on the job.
If you know tools, then you probably are familiar with Milwaukee tools. They’ve been around since the end of the first world war when Henry Ford commissioned help from the founder of the company. And ever since that day, they’ve been making grade “A” tools.
So why is it the sleeper pick? Mostly because Makita and Dewalt take up so much of the oxygen in the cordless tool world. But greatness cannot be suppressed. Or is it repressed? Anyway – My main reason for including the Milwaukee Combo Kit as our “Sleeper Pick” is all that quality – In a 4-Piece Set that includes the most used cordless tools, you will probably reach for. While the Dewalt is a 5 pc. set – the Milwaukee Kit is $120 less.
- M18 cordless ½” hammer drill administering 550 inch-pounds of torque and up to 1700 rpm
- M18 reciprocating saw with the Milwaukee patented gear-protecting clutch and counterbalance mechanism
- M18 ¼” impact gun with 1400 inch-pounds of torque
- M18 work light with foldaway hooks
- Two lithium-ion batteries
- 18-volt batteries last for several hours and have indicators letting you know when it is nearly time to recharge them
- Has an all-metal chuck on the ½” hammer drill
- The flashlight illuminates your workspace and eliminates shadows
- Compact tools that let you work in tight spaces with ease
- 3-year battery warranty and 5-year warranty on the tools themselves
- No circular saw
- Short battery life on the reciprocating saw
- An LED Lamp would be better for battery life.
All in all, this is a quality kit that gets most jobs done with ease. Of course, if you need a circular saw, then you may want to skip this set. At the very least you’ll have to buy one separately. But where this kit really shines is in its sheer power. Plus, Milwaukee tools provide a better warranty than any other company I can think of right now. If you want peace of mind that your tools are covered for the next decade at least, then you have to go with Milwaukee.
- Reliability: tools backed by a 3 year limited warranty
- INCLUDES: PCC601 Drill Driver, PCC661 Circular Saw, PCC671 Reciprocating Saw, PCC701 LED Flashlight, (2) 20V MAX*Lithium Ion Batteries, (one- 1.5Ah and one- 4.0Ah), one- PCC699L Charger
- Part of the Porter-Cable 20V max* system: battery works with all Porter-Cable 20V max* lithium ion products
- Inlcudes Kit Bag – Not shown
- Great set for DIY homeowners but maybe a bit light duty for pros
- Kit Doesn’t have the Brushless motors of more expensive brands
- Kit includes (2) 18V Lithium-Ion Compact 3.0Ah Slide Type batteries BSL1830C (339782) for less weight in a more compact size than a traditional 3.0Ah Li-ion battery
- DV18DGL 18V Lithium-Ion Hammer Drill that boasts 487 in/lbs of torque in an ergonomic, lightweight (3.8 lbs) design
- WH18DGL 18V Lithium-Ion Impact Driver that weighs only 3.1 lbs, yet still delivers 1,280 in/lbs of driving torque for heavier applications
- CR18DGL 18V Lithium-Ion Reciprocating Saw has a 1″ stroke length and 3,300 SPM to allow for easy and fast cutting
- UB18DEL 18V Lithium-Ion LED Flashlight for high visibility in a free-standing design for convenience
- UC18YKSL quick charger, Phillips #2 Driver bit and carrying bag
- Covered by Hitachi’s Lifetime Lithium-Ion tool warranty, 2-Year Lithium Ion battery warranty, and 1-Year charger warranty
- 4 piece kit vs. other Combo Kits – Missing Circular Saw (You can add at Check out: $89.00)
- Good News- They include (2) batteries – To keep one backup battery charged.
What to Look for in Cordless Tools
Just because cordless tools have gotten significantly better over the last five or years doesn’t mean that all cordless tools are worthy of your money. Actually, just the opposite is the truth. There are tons of companies trying to capitalize off of the success of companies like DeWalt, Makita, and Milwaukee without putting in the work to make good equipment.
That’s why there is a specific set of features you need to be looking for when making this decision. Let’s go over them.
Battery size is obviously important when using cordless tools. The last thing you need to happen on the job is for your tools to die and you spend the next hour sitting around doing nothing. If you are using your tools for professional purposes (and as a contractor you probably are), then don’t go any lower than 18-volts.
You also want to find a set that includes multiple batteries.
Speed and Power
Revolutions per minute, inch-pounds, and lumens are all things you need to familiarize yourself with before embarking on your journey for the perfect cordless tool set for you. Don’t look at anything less than 500 inch-pound of torque in a hammer drill, and stay right around the 1200 rpm range.
Impact guns require more power and should be no lower than 1350 inch-pounds of torque. Regarding lumens of light, anything above 100 is going to work just fine for you. But remember, the brighter, the better.
Longevity and Durability
When you are spending hundreds of dollars on something, you have to know that it will last more than a few years. Read some reviews and see how long the tools have lasted other people. And most important, make sure the maker has a warranty for their products.
In the market for a great weed wacker? Check out our Best Picks here!
Wrap – Up
You are a contractor, that means your tools are your livelihood. You can no longer afford to be attached to outlets and air pumps on the job. It is time to embrace freedom, and join the cordless revolution today.
I’m not saying that pneumatic tools don’t have their places, because they do. I’m just saying that cordless tools are now efficient enough to be effective in so many of your daily work.
Business is about making money. Making money is about fast turnarounds. Fast turnarounds are where cordless tools excel. So not investing in them hurts your income.
And that’s the bottom line….
- Learn how to safely handle power tools by reading this article here!
- 8 maintenance tips to make your power tools last long
- Here are the best cordless power tool brands!
- How do you cut a stump with a chainsaw? Check it out here!
- Have hedges to trim? Check out this article here about cordless hedge trimmers!