If you’re looking for the Best Electric Push Mower in 2020, then you’re in the right place. Today we’ll check out the best Battery-powered mowers and (corded) Electric mowers on the market – This review should be able to narrow down your search quickly, and find the best electric mower for your own needs.
An Electric Push Lawn Mower is generally lighter and easier to maneuver than its gas-powered equivalent. The best electric lawn mowers also require less maintenance, so no need to concern yourself with gas, oil, tune-ups, or spark plugs, which saves you time and money.
In a hurry? Our choice for the best push lawn mower is the Greenworks 20-Inch 40v Cordless Mower (see it at Amazon). It offers reliable gas-like power without sacrificing power and performance, all at an affordable price.
The 5 Best Electric Push Mowers
|Editors Choice||Best Value Cordless||Best Value "Electric"|
|Greenworks 40V 20-Inch Cordless Twin Force Lawn Mower, 4Ah & 2Ah Batteries with Charger Included||Sun Joe iON16LM 40-Volt 16-Inch Brushless Cordless Lawn Mower, Kit (w/4.0-Ah Battery + Quick Charger), ION16LM||Greenworks 20-Inch 3-in-1 12 Amp Electric Corded Lawn Mower 25022|
|SEE ON AMAZON||SEE ON AMAZON||SEE ON AMAZON|
The Top 5 Best Electric Push Mowers [Reviews]
- 40V Power
- 2 Batteries Included
- 3 Discharge options
- 60 Minute Runtime so most homes only need ONE charge to mow their yard.
- Can handle tall grass if you go slow.
- If you have a bigger yard, that takes longer than 60 minutes you’ll probably need to keep a spare battery charged and on hand.
- Not self-propelled so if you’re used to that, you’ll need to adjust to pushing again.
Following our extensive research, the Greenworks cordless mower 25302 is our number one pick and the #1 selling cordless push mower on Amazon!
When we rounded up our battery mower reviews, we found the Greenworks model to be the best all-around product for yards up to ½ acre, and it was by far the most popular cordless electric mower on Amazon. That should tell you something right there.
It has no electrical cord, requires no gas, and virtually no maintenance, giving you power, performance, and durability.
It’s so easy to use with easy instant push start button, and also comes with a dual-port battery system with 2x 40v Batteries. The smooth operation makes for a quiet cut and a lot less noisy than a gas-powered alternative. Not only that but its great design means it’s easy to maneuver but is also lightweight.
You’ll also save time and money as you’ll never need to worry about gas or yearly maintenance charges again. It’s covered by a four-year warranty covering you against defects in materials, parts or workmanship.
Rest assured you’ll get the perfect cut whatever the length or condition of your lawn – you can choose between 7 different heights. It also comes with a unique 3 in 1 discharge design system which offers:
- Grass Bagging
- Side Discharge
Considering the many user reviews of this product online, most owners love its versatility, the quick charging dual battery system, and how lightweight and quiet the Greenworks mower Is (some claimed it to be quieter than a vacuum cleaner).
Finally, the Greenworks 40 Volt battery-powered equipment line is one of the most extensive lawn equipment product lines manufactured today. Therefore, you can use the 40 Volt lithium-ion battery in the entire Greenworks 40V lawn tool system – like Leaf blowers, Pole Saws, Hedge Trimmers, etc.
- Industry Leading 82 Volts of Cordless Battery Power
- Self-propelled which is rare for cordless mowers
- Spare Battery is Included so you can charge the spare while you’re mowing.
- 45 Minute Runtime
- Using the self-propelled drive uses up the battery faster, which isn’t a surprise.
- A few owners mention that cutting very thick grass bogs the engine down (which is the case with gas mowers too).
The Snapper XD 82V Max Cordless Self-Propelled walk mower, with 2x 2Ah batteries and a rapid charge, is our number two and premium pick.
Their claim is ‘More Convenience. More Possibilities’ and it certainly lives up to the claim. When it comes to providing Self Propelled lawn mower reviews, the Snapper XC 82V mower was the one we had to feature.
This push button Cordless Self-Propelled mower (with variable speed) is built for durability and ease of use. It’s powered by a 2Ah Lithium-Ion battery (with a spare) and includes a rapid charger, allowing you to mow up to 45 minutes.
It’s easy to use, with a height adjustment, allowing you to choose from 7 different cutting heights.
Many users have reviewed the product and are converted from a gas mower. They love there’s no maintenance costs and no need to fill with gas and oil. It’s also much quieter and more environmentally friendly. The general theme is customers were skeptical of electric mowers but not anymore.
A few owners warn that the self-propelling system should be activated slow on a new battery. It has a ½-1 second daily only then to kick in at high speed. Once they get the hang of it they find it easy to use but can take a couple of times to get used to at the start.
Benefits of the Snapper XD 82V – Self-Propelled Electric Mower include:
- Quiet self-propelled variable speed transmission
- 2x Briggs & Stratton 82V 2Ah batteries and rapid charger will give you up to 45-minutes run time.
- Easy to use, with a choice of 7 different adjustable cutting heights with a single lever
- 3 in 1 steel mowing deck, which allows you to bag, mulch or side discharge
- Brushless motor technology – The highly efficient 1000 or 1200 watt brushless motor provides all of the power and reliability you’ll need to mow your lawn for many years to come.
- Product Dimensions – 44.5 x 21.5 x 19 inches
- Item Weight – 80.9 Pounds
- Shipping Weight – 92.4 Pounds
- 60 Volt Lithium-Ion battery
- 21″ Steel Deck
- Flex Force Battery System with Brushless DC Motor
- Mow up to 1/4 Acre on a single charge with 60 Volt Power
- Patented Recycler technology provides outstanding mulch capability
- Smart-Stow Folding to Save Storage space
- Nine Cutting Heights – Adjusts in 1/4″ increments
- 2 Year Mower Warranty – 3-Year Battery Warranty
- Serviceable at over 4,000 Toro Service locations in the U.S.
- Battery life runs about 35-40 minutes in normal conditions
Toro leads the industry as the #1 lawn mower manufacturer – and the Toro model 20367 – “Recycle” push mower – is certainly another good reason why. In addition, Toro manufacturers a complete line of 60 Volt lawn equipment which will interchange with this 60 Volt battery and charger.
Check out this video from Toro:
- Durable 20″ Deck
- Powerful 12 Amp motor
- 3 – In – 1 Mowing Options: (Mulching, Side-discharge- Rear Bag)
- Folding Handles for Convenient Storage
- Push button start and a single-lever, 7-position height-of-cut adjustment
- Extension Cord Required to Power Lawn Mower
- Some complaints mention it doesn’t mulch as well as gas mowers.
- Works better for shorter grass – Those who mow more frequently
- 40V Power
- Only 22 lbs.
- Lightweight compared to other Electric Mowers
- Cuts well in narrow spaces since it has a narrow body.
- Very good battery life, exceeding the expected battery life for some owners.
- Great Price!
- A fairly narrow cutting path at 15″.
- Not great for larger yards due to the small cutting path.
Our Pick for The Best Value in “Cordless” Lawn Mowers is the Sun Joe iON16LM, described as being nearly perfect for the smaller lawns. One word of caution, however, the Sun Joe lawn mower doesn’t offer a mulching capability. If you mow every 5-7 days the grass bagging option should be sufficient.
It’s great for the environmentally conscious person as it’s much better for the environment than many of its alternatives, with an ETL approved, Energy-star certified status. There’s no oil or gas required, therefore it creates no smell or carbon emissions.
There’s no need for push cords, as it starts instantly with the simple push of a button. The powerful brushless motor increases the efficiency of the battery and maximizes the motor performance, which decreases the noise and vibration, which in turn extends the motor life.
Customers describe it as a great mower for small yards. They love how lightweight and easy to maneuver it is. The recharge facility has also been highly praised by reviewers. And when it comes to Lawn Mower reviews on Amazon, it is one of the Best Picks as well.
Some users are frustrated it doesn’t mulch. You can bag your clippings but the bag attachment but with a capacity of just over 9 gallons, it may have to be emptied a couple of times, depending on the size of your lawn.
Check out the Sun Joe 16″ 40 Volt Battery-Powered Mower in this Video:
Benefits of Sun Joe iON16LM Cordless Electric Mower:
- Power and Performance – 600 W Brushless Motor increases the battery and motor performance and efficiency, as well as extended the motor life (Up to 2000 hours!)
- Lightweight – It’s lightweight and compact design with all-terrain wheels makes it easy to cut mow the lawn, even in the tightest of spaces.
- Easy to Use – The simple push start button and an ergonomic handle ensure the comfort of the user. You can adjust the cut to 6 different heights (from 1.18 inches up to 3.15 inches), with the simple adjustment lever
- Cutting Width – 15 inches (38 cm)
- Cutting Height – 1.18 – 3.15 inches (30mm – 80mm)
- Motor/Rotor – 600w brushless motor
- 15 inch (38 cm) steel blade
- Battery – 4.0 Ah/40 V
- Weight 37.3 pounds
- Warranty – Full 2-year warranty
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is The Best Rated Electric Push Mower?
The number one rated push mower is the Greenworks 25302 – 40 Volt Battery-Powered Push Mower. Coming in at a close second is the Greenworks 25022 – Electric (Corded) Mower. Both mowers are rated at the top of their category but offer different power sources – and are, of course, priced accordingly!
What are the benefits of owning an electric push mower vs gas mower?
An electric push mower will generally cost you much less when purchased. You have no need to purchase gas, replace oil or spark plugs, or have it maintained yearly.
In the past, electric equipment such as hedge trimmers or mowers had a reputation for not being as powerful as gas-powered, but this is charging with the advancement of Lithium-Ion battery technology.
You don’t need to take my word for it you can read some of the many reviews yourself of customers that have been converted to owning an electric mower to cut grass and would never go back.
Is there a “Rebate or Voucher Program” available To Exchange Gas-Powered for Battery-Powered Lawn Equipment?
Yes, In fact, we list two great examples below (Additional Reading) from Pima County, Arizona and Diamond Bar, California. These particular Government agencies offer between $150-250.00 Vouchers for use at Home Depot, to exchange a gas lawnmower for a battery-powered or manual mower.
In addition, Pima County, for example, offers up to (5) vouchers at $50.00 each, for every Gas-powered lawn tool (not mowers) you exchange for a battery-powered or manual powered piece of equipment.
We highly recommend you search the internet for any similar programs in your State, County, or Municipality.
How long do electric lawn mower batteries last?
It depends on the specific model and the load on the motor. Here is an example though: You’ll get roughly 60 minutes of run-time with the Greenworks 40v Battery. This should be sufficient to cut most lawns. Users are impressed with how quickly the batteries charge. Best wishes finding the Best Electric push mower for your yard!
How Do I Sharpen a Mower Blade?
Sharpening a Mower Blade is accomplished by using one of 3 methods, using a grinder, file, or power drill attachment. To learn the simple steps on “How to sharpen a mower blade” – Read this article.
I’m sure you’re aware now the benefits of owning a powerful electric push mower. The technology has advanced so much and gone are the days where the only reliable option was owning a gas-powered one. You really can now save more, have less maintenance, as well as a cleaner mowing experience, all whilst helping save the planet.
We’ve gone into great detail and reviewed 3 Electric Mowers and we really hope this has helped you make a decision on which one is best for you.
Your choice will largely depend on your circumstances, such as the size of your lawn and your budget. If you have a tiny lawn then our option 3 may suit you perfectly. If however you have more yard space and are looking for a little more powerful and more features then our top pick would probably suit you better.
Our number one pick was the Greenworks 40v Cordless Mower (see on Amazon). Get more details about the product and see owner reviews by clicking the link!
The Greenworks 40v Lithium-ion Max System with a quiet, efficient battery gives you all of the power you need to tackle any yard up to ½ acre. I’ll summarize some of the great benefits you’ll be getting.
- No power cords required with the instant push start button technology. The brushless power provides the ultimate cut for power, performance, and durability.
- The dual-port battery pack allows you to have an additional battery ready so you don’t have to stop working. Vertical storage helps save up to 70% on storage space.
- There’s also the flexibility to cut the lawn as you like. Choose between 7 different positions with the easily adjustable height lever, giving you the perfect length lawn. Then you’ve got the 3 in 1 design for a grass bag, side discharge, and mulch plug.
- It also comes with an extensive full 4-year warranty, taking the worry out of making the right decision.
Of course, your needs and your budget may vary. Our Runner Up Electric push mower from WORX offers many of the same features, and while it is only 14″ wide it’s also $100 less to buy.
Lastly, If you’re really on a tight budget – and are ok with using an Electric Push Mower with an extension cord, the Greenworks 25022 should be the right choice. At $200 less than the Greenworks “Cordless” Mower, This electric push mower is the biggest selling electrical mower on Amazon, which is saying a lot.
Good luck choosing the best mower for you – and please don’t hesitate to leave us a comment or suggestion below!
Additional Reading & References
- Pima County Arizona Low Emission – Lawn Equipment Rebate Voucher – Webcms.Pima.gov
- Diamond Bar California Gas Equipment Exchange Rebate Program – AQMD.Gov
- How to Safely Use a Plug-in (corded) Electric mower – YouTube.Com
- How to safely use a lawnmower around children – Healthychildren.com
- Can you cut wet grass with an electric mower? – Ehow.com
- Which mowers Make the Best lawn stripes? – Besthomegear.com