If you’re looking to find the best electric push mower, then you’re in the right place. Our goal is to show you the best Cordless mowers we’ve ever reviewed, and help you simplify your search!
Electric mowers are generally a lot lighter and easy to maneuver than their gas equivalent, and they also require a lot less maintenance, so there is no need to concern yourself refueling with gas or oil, which saves you money!
You also don’t need to worry about running over a cord, a problem with many less expensive electric mowers, that require an outlet to plug into.
In a hurry? My favorite is Greenworks 21-Inch 40v Cordless Mower (see on Amazon). It offers reliable gas-like power without sacrificing power and performance.
There are so many options when it comes to trying to find an electric push mower, it can be frustrating and confusing to know whether you’re making the right decision. Some claim to be great only for customers to be disappointed when they use the mower for the first time.
We’ve put in many hours researching the models on the market to take away the confusion and make your decision easier. We’ve put the time in to find out what customers really think about the products.
Best Choices in 2019
|Brand and Model||Image||Rating (See Amazon Reviews)||Power||Cutting Width||Price and Availability|
|Greenworks MO40L2512||40 Volt||21 Inch||See the latest Price on Amazon for the Greenworks MO40L2512|
|Snapper XD SXD21SPWM82K||82 Volt||21 Inch||See the latest Price on Amazon for the Snapper XD|
|Sun Joe iON16LM||40 Volt||16 Inch||See the latest Price on Amazon for the Sun Joe iON16LM|
We’ve put this together in an easy to understand manner so you can decide which electric push mower will be best to suit your needs.
Greenworks 21-Inch 40V Mower (MO40L2512)
- 40V Power
- 2 Batteries Included
- 3 Discharge options
- 60 Minute Runtime so most homes only need ONE charge to mow their yard.
- Can handle tall grass if you go slow.
- If you have a bigger yard, that takes longer than 60 minutes you’ll need to charge the other battery while cutting.
- Not self-propelled so if you’re used to that, you’ll need to adjust to pushing again.
Following our extensive research, the Greenworks cordless mower MO40L2512 is our number one pick.
We found it the all-around best product for yards up to ½ acre and by far the most popular of all of the ones we reviewed.
It has no cord, requires no gas, and virtually no maintenance, giving you power, performance, and durability.
It’s so easy to use with the easy instant push start button, and also comes with a dual port battery system with 2x 40v Batteries. The smooth operation makes for a quiet cut and a lot less noisy than a gas-powered alternative. Not only that but its great design means it’s easy to maneuver but is also lightweight.
You’ll also save time and money as you’ll never need to worry about gas or yearly maintenance charges again. It’s covered by a four-year warranty covering you against defects in materials, parts or workmanship.
Rest assured you’ll get the perfect cut whatever the length or condition of your lawn – you can choose between 7 different heights. It also comes with a unique 3 in 1 discharge design system:
- Grass bag
- Side Discharge
There are many reviews for this product online. Many owners love its versatility, the quick charging dual battery system and how light and quiet it is (some claim it to be quieter than a vacuum cleaner).
An ongoing theme from owners is how they’re now a convert from a gas mower and would never go back. They love there’s no gas to purchase and no oil or maintenance.
One customer had a problem with one of their batteries a few weeks after they got it. Greenworks customer service sent out a new one, no problem.
Another wondered if the performance would be affected as it’s not self-propelling. They found it was super light.
Features of Greenworks 21-Inch 40V Brushless Cordless Mower
It makes light work of mowing your lawn thanks to these amazing features:
- Easy Instant push-start technology.
- 40-volt Brushless motor for power, performance, and durability.
- Dual port – have a second battery ready so don’t have to stop working. Up to 60-minute battery runtime
- No Maintenance = Save time and money – Save 95% costs spent on gas and never worry about yearly maintenance again.
- Vertical storage saving 70% on storage space
- Smart-cut Technology – Power automatically adjusts based on grass height for maximum performance
- Convenient height adjustment level for the perfect cut. Choose between 7 different positions to ensure you always cut your lawn the perfect length.
- Lightweight and maneuverable
- Cover all aspects of your yard with the amazing 3 in 1 Discharge design
- Grass bag
- Side discharge
- 4 Year Warranty – To the original purchaser (with proof of purchase), against defects in materials, parts or workmanship.
- Deck Size – 21-inch
- Item Weight – 62 lbs
- Shipping Weight – 82 pounds
- Run Time – Up to 60 minutes
- Deck Size – 21-Inch
- Product Dimensions – 62.2 x 21.5 x 42.2 inches
Snapper XD Cordless Self-Propelled Mower SXD21SPWM82K
- 82V Power
- Self-propelled which is rare for cordless mowers
- Spare Battery so you can charge the spare while you’re cutting if needed.
- 45 Minute Runtime
- Using the self propelled drive uses up the battery faster, which isn’t a surprise.
- A few owners mention that cutting very thick grass bogs the engine down (which is the case with gas mowers too).
The Snapper XD 82V Max Cordless Self-Propelled walk mower, with 2x 2Ah batteries and a rapid charge, is our number two and premium pick.
Their claim is ‘More Convenience. More Possibilities’ and it certainly lives up to the claim. When it comes to providing Self Propelled lawn mower reviews, the Snapper XC 82V mower was the one we had to feature.
This push button Cordless Self-Propelled walk mower (with variable speed) is built for durability and ease of use. It’s powered by a 2Ah Lithium Ion battery (with a spare) and includes a rapid charger, allowing you to mow up to 45 minutes.
It’s easy to use, with a height adjustment, allowing you to choose from 7 different cutting heights.
Many users have reviewed the product and are converted from a gas mower. They love there’s no maintenance costs and no need to fill with gas and oil. It’s also much quieter and more environmentally friendly. The general theme is customers were skeptical of electric mowers but not anymore.
A few owners warn that the self-propelling system should be activated slow on a new battery. It has a ½-1 second daily only then to kick in at high speed. Once they get the hang of it they find it easy to use but can take a couple of times to get used to at the start.
Some of the benefits of the Snapper XD 82V include:
- Quiet self-propelled variable speed transmission
- 2x Briggs & Stratton 82V 2Ah batteries and rapid charger will give you up to 45-minutes run time.
- Easy to use, with a choice of 7 different adjustable cutting heights with a single lever
- 3 in 1 steel mowing deck, which allows you to bag, mulch or side discharge
- Brushless motor technology – The highly efficient 1000 or 1200 watt brushless motor provides all of the power and reliability you’ll need to mow your lawn for many years to come.
- Product Dimensions – 44.5 x 21.5 x 19 inches
- Item Weight – 80.9 Pounds
- Shipping Weight – 92.4 Pounds
Sun Joe iON16LM 40V 16-Inch Cordless Lawn Mower
- 40V Power
- Lightweight compared some other models.
- Cuts well in narrow spaces since it has a narrow body.
- Very good battery life, exceeding the expected battery life for some owners.
- Fairly narrow cutting path at 15″.
- Not great for larger yards due to the small cutting path.
Our number 3 pick is the Sun Joe iON16LM, described as perfect for the small to mid-sized lawn.
It’s great for the environmentally conscious person as it’s much better for the environment than many of its alternatives, with an ETL approved, Energy star certified status. There’s no oil or gas required, therefore it creates no smell or carbon emissions.
There’s no need for push cords, as it starts instantly with the simple push of a button. The powerful brushless motor increases the efficiency of the battery and maximizes the motor performance, which decreases the noise and vibration, which in turn extends the motor life.
Customers describe it as a great mower for small yards. They love how lightweight and easy to maneuver it is. The recharge facility has also been highly praised by reviewers. And when it comes to Lawn Mower reviews on Amazon, it is a Best Pick as well.
Some users are frustrated it won’t mulch. You can bag your clippings but the bag attachment but with a capacity of just over 9 gallons, it may have to be emptied a couple of times, depending on the size of your lawn.
Benefits of Owning the Sun Joe iON16LM Cordless Mower:
- Power and Performance – 600 W Brushless Motor increases the battery and motor performance and efficiency, as well as extended the motor life (Up to 2000 hours!)
- Lightweight – It’s lightweight and compact design with all-terrain wheels makes it easy to cut mow the lawn, even in the tightest of spaces.
- Easy to Use – The simple push start button and an ergonomic handle ensure the comfort of the user. You can adjust the cut to 6 different heights (from 1.18 inches up to 3.15 inches), with the simple adjustment lever
- Cutting Width – 15 inches (38 cm)
- Cutting Height – 1.18 – 3.15 inches (30mm – 80mm)
- Motor/Rotor – 600w brushless/15 inch (38 cm) steel blade
- Battery – 4.0 Ah/40 V
- Weight 37.3 pounds
- Warranty – Full 2-year warranty
I’m sure you’re aware now the benefits of owning a powerful electric push mower. The technology has advanced so much and gone are the days where the only reliable option was owning a gas powered one. You really can now save more, have less maintenance, as well as a cleaner mowing experience, all whilst helping save the planet.
We’ve gone into great detail and reviewed 3 Electric Mowers and we really hope this has helped you make a decision on which one is best for you.
Your choice will largely depend on your circumstances, such as the size of your lawn and your budget. If you have a tiny lawn then our option 3 may suit you perfectly. If however you have more yard space and are looking for a little more powerful and more features then our top pick would probably suit you better.
Our number one pick was the Greenworks 40v Cordless Mower (see on Amazon). Get more details about the product and see owner reviews by clicking the link!
The Greenworks 40v Lithium-ion Max System with a quiet, efficient battery gives you all of the power you need to tackle any yard up to ½ acre. I’ll summarise some of the great benefits you’ll be getting.
No power cords required with the instant push start button technology. The brushless power provides the ultimate cut for power, performance, and durability.
Dual port battery pack allows you to have an additional battery ready so you don’t have to stop working. Vertical storage helps save up to 70% on storage space.
There’s also flexibility to cut the lawn as you like. Choose between 7 different positions with the easily adjustable height lever, giving you the perfect length lawn. Then you’ve got the 3 in 1 design for a grass bag, side discharge, and mulch plug.
Save money as there’s no need for gas, oil replacements or yearly maintenance.
It also comes with an extensive full 4-year warranty, taking the worry out of making the right decision.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the benefits of owning an electric push mower vs gas mower?
An electric push mower will generally cost you much less when purchased. You have no need to purchase gas, replace oil or spark plugs, or have it maintained yearly.
In the past electric mowers had a reputation for not being as powerful as gas ones but this is charging with the advancement in technologies. You don’t need to take my word for it you can read some of the many reviews yourself of customers that have been converted to owning an electric mower and would never go back.
How long do electric lawn mower batteries last?
It depends on the specific model and the load on the motor. Here is an example though: You’ll get roughly 60 minutes of run-time with the Greenworks 40v Battery. This should be sufficient to cut most lawns. Users are impressed with how quickly the batteries charge. Best wishes finding the Best Electric push mower for your yard!
- Here is a how-to article on how to best use a plug in electric mower!
- Is your lawn mower safe to use around kids? Read this article on how to safely use a lawn mower around children!
- Have you wondered if you can cut wet grass with an electric mower? Check out how you can here.
- Check out this article on the pressure washers.
- Want stripes on your lawn? Read about the best lawn mower for stripes here!