Are you looking for the Best Gas String Trimmer Weed Eater in 2019? I’ve been there too; wanting to find that great product that’s been tested and reviewed by real people, backed by a strong warranty, and sold at a competitive price I can afford. And oh yes, one that I can get quickly!
Today we’ll feature our carefully researched list of the Best Gas-Powered String Trimmers on the market today, Including models for every budget and every type of application – from large properties to small yards.
After your review of each product’s features & benefits, you can determine which features or benefits matter most to you, and which Gas String Trimmer best fits your budget.
In other words, which trimmer offers the “best bang for your buck”.
Note: With the exception of our High Wheel -walk behind string trimmer, the Gas String Trimmers we review today will feature the far more popular 2-cycle engine (vs. 4-cycle engine). This is due to their inherent lighter weight, easier starting, and fewer maintenance requirements over 4-Cycle engines.
In a hurry? Check out the Husqvarna 128LD 28cc 2-Cycle String Trimmer It offers incredible power, variable speed control, and a 17″ cutting path to get the job done fast!
7 Best Choices in 2019
|EDITOR’S CHOICE||RUNNER UP||BEST VALUE|
|Husqvarna 128LD, 28cc 2-cycle 17 in. Straight Shaft Gas String Trimmer||Hitachi CG23ECPSL 22.5cc 2-Cycle Gas Powered Solid Steel Drive Shaft String Trimmer||Remington RM2560 Rustler 25cc 2-Cycle 16-Inch Straight Shaft Gas Trimmer|
|Buy on Amazon||Buy on Amazon||Buy on Amazon|
The Top 7 Best Gas String Trimmer | Weed Eaters on The Market
Ok, Let’s check out the Pros and Cons of each Gas Powered String Trimmer (Weed Eater) model, and help you decide which of these products best fits your own needs.
- 28cc engine
- 17-Inch Cutting Width
- Uses .095 diameter trimmer line
- 2 cycle engine with 28 cc Engine displacement
- Straight Shaft. Transmission gear ratio: 1.4
- Weight only 11 lbs.
- Premium performance comes at a Premium price.
- The Carburetor may need some adjustment out of the box.
The engine and starter on the Husqvarna gas trimmers are designed to start quickly with minimum effort, thanks to their unique Smart Start function. The string trimmers also include an auto return stop switch. When the machine is turned off, the stop switch automatically returns to the start position for easier starting. These features make the Husqvarna trimmer ready to go anytime you need to keep your lawn free of unwanted grass and weeds.
It is understandable if you don’t want to spend a lot of money on a tool that isn’t going to be used for extended time intervals. But if you want the most professional looking lawn, and can afford the entry price – this could be where your search ends.
- 22.5 cc pure fire two-stroke engine meets emissions levels without sacrificing power, adding weight, or creating maintenance headaches
- 69.6″ overall length to lessen fatigue from bending
- Anti-vibration system to reduce user fatigue
- S-Start recoil starting system reduces the force needed to start the engine
- A higher “percentage” of 5-star ratings on Amazon than any other trimmer
- Like most string trimmers, bump feed line can be fiddly.
- Carburetor adjustment may be required out of the box to run smoothly
22.5 cc PureFire two Stroke engine meets emissions levels without sacrificing power, adding weight, or creating maintenance headaches.
69.6″ overall length to lessen fatigue from bending. Anti-vibration system to reduce user fatigue.
S-start recoil starting system reduces the force needed to start the engine.
The biggest complaint with this device is the trimmer line that it comes with. The line shipped with it doesn’t seem to feed very well, and the command feed doesn’t work much at all with it.
Thankfully, it is easily remedied by purchasing a new line (something you’ll need to do eventually anyway).
With very positive reviews from Homeowners and (surprisingly) Pros as well, the Hitachi string trimmer seems to check all the boxes. If you want to curb your budget over the Husqvarna, this is probably the best one to go for.
- This straight shaft gas trimmer design makes it easier to trim under bushes and in hard-to-reach places
- Equipped with a 25cc 2-cycle engine with QuickStart technology makes pull starts easier
- Dual line bump head with .095″ line for greater control
- 16-inch cutting swath trims wider sections of tall grass in less time
- Constructed with durable components
- at 14 lbs. this string trimmer is on the heavier side
- Some complaints with bump head – again a common complaint with most string trimmers
- Suited better for light to medium duty yards.
The lightweight Remington RM2560 Rustler trimmer has a 25cc 2-cycle engine with QuickStart technology, which reduces the effort it takes to pull start the engine.
The straight shaft design makes it easy to trim under bushes and hedges, as well as other hard-to-reach places.
The 16-inch cutting swath and dual line bump head make it easy to trim a wide area of grass without stopping to refill trimmer line. Replace trimmer line with ease by tapping the cutting head on the ground while operating.
Backed by a 2-year limited warranty.
If you want something that is versatile and doesn’t leave you strapped for cash until your next payday, this is a weed eater you should consider. Very good ratings on Amazon from real customers. Major complaint is the weight of product at 14 lbs. vs. our #1 pick at 11 lbs, which can make a big difference if you’re still trimming after 30-45 minutes.
- Auto Return Stop Switch – Stop switch automatically resets to the ON position for easier starting
- Air Purge – Removes air from carburetor and fuel system for easy starting
- Smart Start – The engine and starter have been designed so the machine starts quickly with minimum effort
- Detachable Shaft – Too less coupler separates shaft for easy transport and storage
- A multi-purpose machine with several attachments available as accessories
- Curved shaft limits reach under bushes vs. straight shaft, however, it does create less bending.
- No other legitimate complaints with this model
The Not So Good
The unfortunate reality of looking for budget trimmers is that you have to forego the highest quality parts for cheaper ones. This means you don’t get a professional looking lawn, and you may have to purchase another one down the line.
However, this product is no slouch. You’ll still have a respectable lawn, and you get the added benefit of saving hundreds of dollars.
The engine and starter on Husqvarna gas trimmers are designed to start quickly with minimum effort, thanks to the unique Smart Start function. This curved shaft model has a slightly smaller cutting and weighs 2 lbs. more than it’s brother – our #1 Pick. But if the price is a consideration – it costs about $50 less . And after all, it is still a “Husqvarna”.
- SureFire Fuel Delivery System. Easy as..Prime, Choke and Pull
- Effortless Pull Starting – Spring assisted starter system for ease of starting
- Auto return stop switch automatically resets to the ON position for easier starting
- Equipped with a dual-line feed Tap’N Go head for a superior cutting result. Reloading the trimmer spool is quick and simple
- Air Purge removes air from carburetor and fuel system for easy starting
- Straight shaft – preferred and normally on more expensive models
- 14 lb. weight tied for heaviest of the gas trimmers we reviewed.
Poulan Pro trimmers boast features that ensure ease of use.
The PR28LD features a 28cc, 2 stroke engine with a straight shaft and 17″ cut path.
Attachment capable trimmers, with Pro-Link, are designed to accept 6 optional attachments that make them even more versatile.
The Not So Good
The biggest complaint with this device is the trimmer line was the weight, otherwise very strong customer reviews, for a trimmer in this more moderate price range.
This product offers excellent power, and the features you want in a String Trimmer. If you plan on taking more than 30-40 min. to trim your yard, you may want to opt. for one of the 10 lb. models reviewed here.
- Echo is one of the most respected brands in outdoor power equipment
- 21.2 cc – most efficient fuel specs on the market
- i-30 starting system for 30% less strenuous starting
- Speed-Feed 400 trimmer head – reloads in seconds
- Anti-Vibration motor
- lightweight at 11 lbs.
- Price. It’s tied with our #1 pick which is a “Prime” 2-day shipment. This one is not, but shipping is free.
The Not So Good
The only complaint we read about this product from users, was the price.
And one review stated that it is slightly under-powered, mainly due to in part to its high efficiency 21.2 cc engine.
The Echo String trimmer: if you can afford it – it really comes down to our #1 Pick the Husqvarna and this one. At the time of writing this article, they were both the same price, and are both packed with great features. Husqvarna gets a slight nod because of its more powerful 28 cc engine.
- 159cc OHV Gas Engine: Powerful 4-cycle gas engine helps you clear the tallest, toughest grass and weeds.
- 22-INCH Cutting path: Unique shape makes trimming around fences, garden beds, and other landscaping borders easier cutting bigger jobs down to size.
- User-Friendly: Off-set trimmer head feature helps to trim hard-to-reach places while the 14-inch ball-bearing wheels help you move easily through rough terrain.
- Comfort Folding Handle: Equipped with a folding handle for convenient storage and transportation.
- Trimmer line is standard 0.155” diameter.
- The Stock wheels are plastic and can and probably should be replaced by the end user.
This user-friendly trimmer will help make big jobs seem small and help you clear the tallest, toughest grass and weeds. Its compact size lets you get into those hard to reach areas and clear the tallest, toughest grass and weeds. The 22″ cutting diameter makes it easier to trim in those hard to reach places and the large wheels make maneuvering around smaller areas a breeze. The Wheeled Trimmer is easy to push around your yard with ease.
The Remington 22″ High Wheel Trimmer will help you cut even the biggest jobs down to size.
The Not So Good
Wheels could use an upgrade
Pricier than a standard hand-held trimmer
This product offers an entirely different approach from common Weed Eaters. With a 22″ cutting path, High wheels for rough terrain, and ability to tackle tougher cuts than normal string trimmers it’s become a favorite amongst many customers. At 78 lbs. it’s not exactly light, but the Large wheels make maneuverability much easier. If you have a Large lot or plan on durations of 60 min. or more for trimming, definitely consider this product.
Advantages of Gas powered String Trimmers
Freedom of Movement
The obvious benefit of this is you can go anywhere you need to go without having to manage an extension cord while operating the trimmer. Furthermore, you’ll never have to worry about a Low Battery which can plague cordless trimmers if used for long durations.
Compared to the top-rated Cordless String Trimmers on the market (EGO & DeWalt) our Best Pick gas trimmer the Husqvarna 128LD is less expensive to buy.
Cordless weed eaters aren’t as powerful as Gas Powered machines. That’s simply a fact that isn’t up for debate. And while cordless trimmers are making huge advancements in power, they still lack the larger cutting path and cutting power of the top-rated gas trimmers. If you have a large yard or heavy weeds to tackle, Gas is the right choice in equipment for you.
Premium gas trimmers like our top 3 picks weigh just slightly more than a DeWalt DCST970X1 cordless string trimmer.
When it is time to do yard work, you want to know that you have the tools at your disposal to get it done correctly. And string trimmer/weed eaters are one of those tools. Today we showed you seven (7) of our favorite gas-powered models, and we’re confident one of these will fit your needs. But if you’re still undecided, and need a little nudge, I’ll help you out.
Our top pick for a cordless, battery-powered weed eater is: