Are you looking for the Best Gas Weed Eater in 2021? I’ve been there too; wanting to find the Best String Trimmer that’s been tested and reviewed by real people, backed by a strong warranty, and sold at a competitive price I can afford. And yes, one that I can get quickly!
Today we’ll feature our carefully researched list to find the Best straight shaft Weed Eater and the Best curved shaft Weed Eater you can buy. We further review the Best weed eater trimmer “Brand” for every budget and every type of application – from large properties to small yards.
Note: With the exception of our High Wheel -walk behind string trimmer, the gas String Trimmers we review today all feature the far more popular 2-cycle gas engine (vs. 4-cycle engine). This is due to the 2-cycle typically being lighter in weight, easier to start, and having fewer maintenance requirements over 4-Cycle engines.
In a hurry? Check out the Husqvarna 128LD 28cc 2-Cycle String Trimmer offering the best Straight-Shaft gas trimmer on the market, with incredible power, variable speed control, and a 17″ cutting path to get the job done fast!
7 Best Gas Weed Eaters For 2021
|EDITOR’S CHOICE||RUNNER UP||BEST VALUE|
|Husqvarna 128LD 17" Cutting Path Detachable Gas String Trimmer||Craftsman CMXGTAMD30SA 30cc 4-Cycle 17-Inch Straight Shaft Gas Powered String Trimmer and Brushcutter-Weed Wacker with Attachment Capability for Lawn Care, Liberty Red||Remington RM2560 Rustler 25cc 16-Inch Gas Powered String Trimmer-2-Cycle-Lightweight-Straight Shaft, 17", Orange/Black|
|CLICK HERE FOR PRICE||CLICK HERE FOR PRICE||CLICK HERE FOR PRICE|
The Top 7 Best Gas String Trimmer | Weed Eaters
Ok, Let’s check out the Pros and Cons of each Gas-Powered String Trimmer (Weed Eater), and help you decide which of these products best fits your own needs.
- 28cc engine
- 17-Inch Cutting Width
- Uses .095 diameter trimmer line
- 2 cycle engine with 28 cc Engine displacement
- Straight Shaft. Transmission gear ratio: 1.4
- Weight only 11 lbs.
- Premium performance comes at a premium price.
- The Carburetor may need some adjustment out of the box.
The engine and starter on the Husqvarna gas trimmers are designed to start quickly with minimum effort, thanks to their unique Smart Start function. Their weed eater trimmer also includes an auto-return stop switch.
When the machine is turned off, the stop switch automatically returns to the start position for easier starting. These features make the Husqvarna trimmer ready to go anytime you need to keep your lawn free of unwanted grass and weeds.
It is understandable if you don’t want to spend a lot of money on a tool that isn’t going to be used for extended time intervals. But in our quest to find the top-rated weed eater, the Husqvarna Straight Shaft was the clear favorite. So if you want to get rid of weeds fast, desire the most professional-looking lawn, and can afford the entry price – Husqvarna could be where your search ends.
Husqvarna Gas String Trimmer
- 30 cc 4-cycle engine. No mixing of Gas and Oil. It meets emissions levels without sacrificing power, adding weight, or creating maintenance headaches
- Easy winding .095 trimmer line head included
- 17″ wide Cutting path
- Straight Shaft 69.6″ overall length to lessen fatigue from bending
- Compatible with multiple lawn care attachments
- Anti-vibration system to reduce user fatigue
- S-Start recoil starting system reduces the force needed to start the engine
- A higher “percentage” of 5-star ratings on Amazon than any other trimmer
- Like most string trimmers, bump feed line can be fiddly.
- Carburetor adjustment may be required out of the box to run smoothly
The Craftsman Gas Trimmer 30 cc 4-cycle engine meets emissions levels without sacrificing power, adding weight, or creating maintenance headaches.
69.6″ overall length to lessen fatigue from bending. Anti-vibration system to reduce user fatigue.
S-start recoil starting system reduces the force needed to start the engine.
With very positive reviews from Homeowners and even Commercial users, the Hitachi string trimmer seems to check all the boxes in a well-performing Gas Weed Eater. If you want to use a slightly lighter weight over the Husqvarna, and one that comes with built-in Anti Vibration, The Craftsman is a very good option.
Craftsman Gas Hedge Trimmer
If you’d like to see the best “Replacement Trimmer heads” you can buy – check out our product review article here.
- This straight shaft gas trimmer design makes it easier to trim under bushes and in hard-to-reach places
- Equipped with a 25cc 2-cycle engine with QuickStart technology makes pull starts easier
- Dual-line bump head with .095″ line for greater control
- 16-inch cutting swath trims wider sections of tall grass in less time
- Constructed with durable components
- at 14 lbs. this string trimmer is on the heavier side
- Some complaints with bump head – again a common complaint with most string trimmers
- Suited better for light to medium duty yards.
The lightweight Remington RM2560 Rustler trimmer has a 25cc 2-cycle engine with QuickStart technology, which reduces the effort it takes to pull-start the engine.
The 16-inch cutting swath and dual-line bump head make it easy to trim a wide area of grass without stopping to refill the trimmer line. Reload the string trimmer line with ease by tapping the cutting head on the ground while operating.
The Remington string trimmer is Backed by a 2-year limited warranty.
If you want something that is versatile and doesn’t leave you strapped for cash until your next payday, this is a weed eater you should consider. Very good ratings on Amazon from real customers. One complaint is the weight of the product at 14 lbs. vs. our #1 pick at 11 lbs, which can make a big difference if you’re still trimming after 30-45 minutes or longer.
Remington Gas Hedge Trimmer
- Auto Return Stop Switch – Stop switch automatically resets to the ON position for easier starting
- Air Purge – Removes air from carburetor and fuel system for easy starting
- Smart Start – The engine and starter have been designed so the machine starts quickly with minimum effort
- Detachable Shaft – Too less coupler separates shaft for easy transport and storage
- A multi-purpose machine with several attachments available as accessories
- Curved shaft limits reach under bushes vs. straight shaft, however, it does create less bending.
- No other legitimate complaints with this model
The Not So Good
The unfortunate reality of looking for budget trimmers is that you have to forego the highest quality parts for cheaper ones. This means you don’t get a professional-looking lawn, and you may have to purchase another one down the line.
However, this product is no slouch. You’ll still have a respectable lawn, and you get the added benefit of saving hundreds of dollars.
The engine and starter on the Husqvarna Curved Shaft Gas trimmers are designed to start quickly with minimum effort, thanks to the unique Smart Start function. This curved shaft model has a slightly smaller cutting and weighs 2 lbs. more than its brother – our #1 Pick. But if the price is a consideration – this one costs about $50 less.
Husqvarna Gas Hedge Trimmer
- SureFire Fuel Delivery System. Easy as Prime, Choke, and Pull the starter.
- Effortless Pull Starting – Spring assisted starter system for ease of starting
- Auto return stop switch automatically resets to the ON position for easier starting
- Equipped with a dual-line feed Tap’N Go head for a superior cutting result. Reloading the trimmer spool is quick and simple
- Air Purge removes air from carburetor and fuel system for easy starting
- Straight shaft – preferred and normally on more expensive models
- 14 lb. weight tied for heaviest of the gas trimmers we reviewed.
Poulan Pro trimmers boast features that ensure ease of use.
The PR28LD features a 28cc, 2 stroke engine with a straight shaft and 17″ cut path.
Attachment-capable trimmers, with Pro-Link, are designed to accept 6 optional attachments that make them even more versatile.
The Not So Good
The biggest complaint with this device is the trimmer line was the weight, otherwise, we see very strong customer reviews, for a gas weed eater trimmer in this more moderate price range.
The Poulan 17″ Gas Trimmer offers excellent power, and the features you want in a String Trimmer. If you plan on taking more than 30-40 min. to trim your yard, you may want to opt. for one of the 10 Lb. models in our review.
Poulan Gas Hedge Trimmer
- Echo is one of the most respected brands in outdoor power equipment
- 21.2 cc – most efficient fuel specs on the market
- i-30 starting system for 30% less strenuous starting
- Speed-Feed 400 trimmer head – reloads in seconds
- Anti-Vibration motor
- lightweight at 11 lbs.
- Price. It’s tied with our #1 pick which is a “Prime” 2-day shipment. This one is not, but shipping is free.
The Not So Good
The only complaint we read about this product from users, was the relatively expensive price.
And one review stated that it is slightly under-powered, mainly in part to its high efficiency 21.2 cc engine.
The Echo String trimmer: If you can afford it – is very comparable to our #1 Pick the Husqvarna Straight Shaft Trimmer. At the time of writing this article, they were both the same price, and are both packed with great features. Husqvarna gets a slight nod because of its more powerful 28 cc engine.
ECHO Gas Hedge Trimmer
- 159cc OHV Gas Engine: Powerful 4-cycle gas engine helps you clear the tallest, toughest grass and weeds.
- 22-INCH Cutting path: Unique shape makes trimming around fences, garden beds, and other landscaping borders easier cutting bigger jobs down to size.
- User-Friendly: Off-set trimmer head feature helps to trim hard-to-reach places while the 14-inch ball-bearing wheels help you move easily through rough terrain.
- Comfort Folding Handle: Equipped with a folding handle for convenient storage and transportation.
- The Trimmer line is standard 0.155” in diameter.
- The Stock wheels are plastic and can and probably should be replaced by the end-user.
The Remington Walk Behind user-friendly trimmer will help make big jobs seem small and help you clear the tallest, toughest grass and weeds. Its compact size lets you get into those hard-to-reach areas and clear the tallest, toughest grass and weeds. The 22″ cutting diameter makes it easier to trim in those hard-to-reach places and the large wheels make maneuvering around smaller areas a breeze.
The Wheeled Trimmer is easy to push around your yard with ease. The Remington 22″ High Wheel Trimmer will help you cut even the biggest jobs down in a hurry.
The Not So Good
Wheels could use an upgrade
Pricier than a standard hand-held trimmer
This product offers an entirely different approach from common Weed Eaters. With a 22″ cutting path, High wheels for rough terrain, and the ability to tackle tougher cuts than normal string trimmers it’s become a favorite amongst many customers.
At 78 lbs. it’s not exactly light, but the Large wheels make maneuverability much easier. If you have a large lot or plan on durations of 60 min. or more for trimming, definitely consider this product.
REMINGTON Gas Hedge Trimmer
Check Out the Video from “This Old House“ – How To Use a String Trimmer
Buyers Guide – Gas vs Electric Weed Eater Hedge Trimmer
Freedom of Movement
The obvious benefit of the gas-powered hedge trimmer is that you can go anywhere you need to go without having to manage an extension cord of an electric hedge trimmer while operating the trimmer. Furthermore, you’ll never have to worry about a Low Battery which can plague cordless trimmers if used for long durations.
Compared to the top-rated Cordless String Trimmers on the market (EGO & DeWalt) our Best Pick gas trimmer the Husqvarna 128LD is less expensive to buy.
Cordless weed eaters aren’t as powerful as Gas Powered machines. That’s simply a fact that isn’t up for debate. And while cordless weed eaters are making huge advancements in power, they still lack the larger cutting path and cutting power of the top-rated gas trimmers. If you have a large yard or heavy weeds to tackle, Gas is the right choice in equipment for you.
Premium gas trimmers like our top 3 picks weigh just slightly more than a DeWalt DCST970X1 cordless string trimmer for example.
When it is time to do yard work, you want to know that you have the tools at your disposal to get it done correctly. And string trimmer/weed eaters are one of those tools. Today we showed you seven (7) of the best gas weed eater-string trimmer models to buy, and we’re confident one of these will fit your needs. But if you’re still undecided, and need a little nudge, I’ll help you out.
Our Top Picks for Best Gas-Powered Weed Eater/String Trimmer:
- Best Overall: Husqvarna straight shaft – 128LD
- Runner Up: Hitachi 22.5 CC
- Best Value: Remington Rustler
Thanks for Visiting Best Home Gear and don’t miss the rest of your Update Product Reviews Here!
References & Further Reading
- Gas vs. Battery Powered Lawn Equipment – Which one is Right for You? – TakeEasy.Com
- The Best Electric push mowers – Besthomegear.com
- Common Sense – Safety Tips For Using a Wood Chipper from Austter.com
- How do you make baseball park stripes on Your own Lawn? – Besthomegear.com
- 2 cycle vs. 4 cycle Gas engines – What are the real differences? – Protoolreviews.com
- The Best Rotary Tool (Dremel) You Can Buy – Besthomegear.com