In this article, we dig deep and help you decide – what is the Best Pressure Washer for Concrete Driveways, and not just discover the best pressure washer – but also how to clean a concrete driveway in the most effective way.
Have you ever used one of these amazing tools to power wash a driveway or sidewalk? If not, a driveway pressure washer makes it super easy to clean – and saves you countless hours of scrubbing with a brush and using a garden hose.
If you’re wondering What PSI (pounds per square inch) water pressure I need to Clean Concrete or if you can damage Concrete with a Pressure washer, we’ll help you sort all that out as well.
Our number one Best value choice is the Sun Joe SPX3000, but our #1 best overall choice is the Simpson MSH3125 MegaShot Gas Pressure Washer. It’s an all-around high-pressure (3,200 PSI) pressure washer that cleans everything from your driveway, walkway, fences, and patio furniture to even your vehicles!
Many of the pressure washers on the market just aren’t cut out for the job. Often, they don’t have the power to remove tough dirt and grime or harder-to-remove substances like oil on your driveway. Low-cost pressure washers also typically have pumps with very low life expectancies, sometimes as low as 60-100 hours.
We’ve put in a lot of research to make your decision easier. We’ve read the reviews and the manufacturer’s manuals and watched videos of them in action to make sure you’re making the best decision regarding which pressure washer you should buy.
Best Pressure Washer For Concrete Driveways
What’s the best pressure washer for driveways? The best pressure washer for concrete driveways is The Simpson Mega-Shot Pressure washer, as there is simply no better pressure washer for deep driveway cleaning.
First off, it’s got a premium Honda 190cc engine with an axial cam pump. Top all that off with a 25 ft. more flex spray hose and add to that the premium hose connectors – and you’re in fantastic shape to pressure wash anything!
The Simpson MegaShot is an Amazon bestseller and includes a welded steel frame and larger 10″ pneumatic wheels vs. solid rubber wheels that don’t traverse over uneven ground well at all.
- HONDA GC190 premium residential engine
- Maintenance-free OEM Technologies axial cam pump
- 1/4 in. x 25 ft MorFlex hose is non-marring, kink, and abrasion resistant and equipped M22 connection
- Welded steel construction frame
- 10” Premium pneumatic wheels
- 5 Quick connect nozzle tips: 0°, 15°, 25°, 40°, and soap
- The power washer pull cord is designed for easy pull – it may not start with a hard pull
- Overfilling oil can cause it to leak into the fuel tank
- The engine died after the first 5 minutes of running. (can be typical for new motors)
Simpson – Editors Pick Best Pressure Washer For Driveways
- Quiet instant start and stop system
- 212 cc – 4-stroke Westinghouse OHV engine
- Easy to fill – 1-gallon gas tank
- 2.5 GPM water pressure
- 25 ft. abrasion-resistant spray hose
- Includes Soap nozzle
- Onboard Soap container
- Five spray tips included
- 12″ Never-Flat Wheels
- It’s not light, but the wheels work great for rolling the pressure washer through the grass.
- Lifting the machine can be heavy for some people.
Westinghouse “Gas Pressure Washer” Quick-Start Guide:
The Westinghouse WPX3200 (3,200 PSI) is our Runner-up model for driveways for a good reason.
This incredibly powerful Gas-powered pressure washer is a pro at making light work – and keeping your property and possessions clean.
Quickly and effortlessly pressure wash driveway, fencing, patio, walkways, or vehicles with a whopping 3,200 PSI of water pressure.
It can easily switch between a variety of cleaning tasks, with five spray tips included (0 degrees, 5°, 15, 25, 40° & Soap).
Owners have found the Westinghouse to be a great unit for the price, well built, and very dependable. Others are delighted with how sturdy it is and appreciate the power, considering how compact the unit is.
Features of the Westinghouse WPX 3200
- High-powered gas motor – with 3200 MAX PSI (Pounds per square inch) at 2.5 GPM (Gallons per minute)
- Instant start and stop system – The induction motor only runs when the spray gun trigger is pulled, creating a quieter cleaning experience
- Soap Nozzle and onboard Soap dispenser.
- Twelve months of limited consumer warranty.
- Tested, certified, and verified by the Pressure Washer’s Manufacturer’s Association (PWMA). All water pressure and flow rate claims were independently assessed in a lab.
- Easily switch tasks – You could be cleaning oil from a driveway one minute and next washing your car, deck, or house with the five different spray tips.
- 25-foot high-pressure hose – No need to struggle reaching hard to get to places with the 25-foot high
- Dimensions: 21 x 19 x 39 inches
- Item Weight – 62 pounds
We’ve chosen the Westinghouse for its all-around superior cleaning power at an extremely attractive price. You’re getting much more than just a power washer, this takes care of all of your cleaning needs…you’ll never again have to worry about scrubbing by hand.
Westinghouse WPX 3200 – Runner Up – Gas Pressure Washer
- Durable and powerful Honda GC160 – 160cc engine, ideal for more heavy-duty use at your home
- 3,000 PSI With 2.0 Gallons per minute (GPM) water flow
- 24 months of limited consumer warranty and three months of the limited commercial warranty
- Three quick and easy-to-connect tips (0°, 25°, Soap) allow you to tackle a wide variety of cleaning tasks.
- Premium performance comes at a price.
- Some owners mention leaky oil, but it seems to be isolated.
The PowerBoss Gas-powered pressure washer is the most powerful of the three we’ve thoroughly researched.
It has a water pressure of 3000 MAX PSI and a flow rate of 2.0 MAX GPM.
A long-lasting Honda GC160 engine is ideal for medium-duty use.
It also comes with a 25’ high-pressure hose, four quick-connect spray nozzle tips for precise cleaning control, and a 1-gallon detergent tank.
The 0-degree spray tip creates a concentrated and powerful spray for things such as stain and oil removal.
The 25-degree spray tip is designed to clean surfaces such as concrete, hardwoods, decking, patios, and driveways.
Then there’s the low-pressure soap spray which can be used for applying cleaning detergent
- 10” heavy-duty pneumatic wheels for use across multiple terrains
- 1-gallon detergent tank – you won’t have to refill regularly
- Reach higher with 25 feet of flexible hose that can withstand high pressure, allowing you to reach tough to get to dirt and grime
- Independently verified performance claims.
- Maintenance-free axial cam pump with easy start technology – Low effort and quick and easy starting
We love the power of this machine, and it’s easy to assemble, so you can start using it fast. The hose and wand are also higher quality than a lot of the units that are on other models.
Many owners love the Honda engine, known for its quality and quiet operation.
We recommend you run it empty of gas before winter sets in, so it won’t freeze up. Of course, that’s just for people up north where gas can actually freeze if left dormant.
We also advise always releasing the water pressure and disconnecting the water supply line before disconnecting the wand.
If you’re looking for a more powerful and flexible pressure washer, then this could be the unit for you.
Power Boss – Heavy-Duty Gas-Powered Pressure Washer
- Dual Detergent tanks – 2x 0.9-liter removable tanks
- Accessories – The two removable detergent tanks also come with five quick-connect spray tips, a 34-inch extension wand, 20-foot high-pressure hose, a 35-foot power cord (CFCI protected), a garden hose adaptor, and a needle clean-out tool.
- Total Stop System (TSS) – Prolongs pump life. When the trigger isn’t engaged, it automatically shuts off.
- Lower powered, less PSI than other models on the list.
- The connector/coupler is plastic out of the box, and owners like more durable metal.
- Some owners like aftermarket nozzles.
If you’re on a budget but are still looking for a small yet versatile pressure washer, then the Sun Joe Pressure Washer could be what you’re looking for.
America’s number #1 best-selling pressure washer, the Sun Joe SPX3000 is our “Best Value” choice to tackle a wide range of everyday cleaning tasks, from removing stubborn mildew and washing fences to cleaning your car.
It’s not hard to see why Pressure Joe is so popular. Owners have found it lightweight and easy to move around. It’s also very quiet and doesn’t have a noisy gas engine.
Some users have replaced the plastic connector with a brass or metal version. The manufacturer replaced this free of charge. However, they sell for a reasonable price on their website.
Features of the Sun Joe Pressure Washer:
- Lightweight, weighing only 31 pounds
- Backed by a full 2-year warranty
- Dual tanks – Allows you to store two different types of detergent. Switch with a simple turn of the dial. It means you’ll never have to empty and wash out a tank to switch jobs
- Five quick and easy connect spray tips – From a punishing pinpoint precision clean to a powerful band spray. With 0º, 15º, 25º, 40º, and soap nozzles, you can attack everything from light to heavy-duty cleaning tasks
- Total Stop System (TSS) – When you’re not engaging the trigger, the pump is automatically shut off, saving energy and prolonging the life of the pump
- PSI 2030, GPM 1.76
- Motor – 14.5 Amp/1800 Watt
- 34-inch extension spray wand, a 20-foot high-pressure hose, and a 35-foot power cord. Demolish every bit of dirt. Reach high and reach low.
- Easy to assemble
Sun Joe – Best Value Pressure Washer
The best pressure washer for your Car or Truck? Check out the top 5 here.
- 2150 PSI pressure spray
- Four spray nozzles (0°, 15°, 25°, 40°)
- Onboard Detergent tank
- Onboard Hose Reel
- Extremely easy on your budget for this Power
- 1.8 GPM flow rate
- 26’ power cord
- Had plastic parts – The manufacturer recently upgraded to Metal Wand and Connectors.
If you are looking for high psi in a complete pressure washer package for under $150, then you are probably looking for this pressure washer From Pax cess.
With this machine, you’ll get four different spray nozzles that offer plenty of versatility for your job.
Pax-Cess – Best Pressure Washer Onboard Accessories
If you need high power output but aren’t willing to pay premium prices for it just yet, then this pressure washer has your name written all over it. Everybody was astonished at how well it cleans, especially since it is so inexpensive, as demonstrated by some of the best reviews on Amazon.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is the Right Terminology For Pressure Washers?
- PSI = Pounds Per Square Inch
- GPM = Gallons Per Minute
- CPU = Cleaning Power Units
How Long Do Gas and Electric Pumps Last?
Typically a gas pump will last between 300 – 3000 hours, depending on the quality of the unit.
Generally, electric pressure washers last longer than their gas alternative as there are no combustible parts to wear out.
How Much PSI – Do you Need to Clean Concrete?
The recommended minimum PSI for cleaning concrete is 2200 PSI; however, if you can afford it 3,000 PSI will get the job done more quickly.
Can I damage my Concrete with a Pressure Washer?
Few people realize that you can damage your concrete driveway or patio by pressure washing. Most believe that concrete is solid – therefore indestructible, but using a pressure washer with an incorrect tip or using too much pressure, or a combination of both could actually etch the concrete.
Cleaning Driveway With Pressure Washer (Tips)
Here are a few suggestions to allow you to safely pressure wash your driveway or other concrete surfaces. You can also apply these concrete driveway cleaning tips on just about any driveway surface you choose to pressure wash, so here we go:
1) Should I use the normal green tip when washing?
The red and yellow tips concentrate all the water pressure into a very small area. Use extreme caution with Red and Yellow pressure washer tips, as they can blast the top off and possibly etch the concrete.
The white and the black tips are broader, fan out more, and are designed for washing cars and siding or wood decks.
2) What is the Maximum Pressure Setting Should I Use?
The maximum pressure washer you should use around the home should be between 3,000 and 3,500 PSI. Nothing more powerful is needed for household maintenance. Small electric pressure washers may not be a good option for cleaning hard surfaces like concrete if they don’t have enough PSI to tackle those greasy stains.
3) How Do You Get Rid of Lines In Concrete?
A common complaint is how to get rid of the lines of stains left on the concrete after pressure washing. Those lines are usually caused because you get tired and don’t take as much time as when you got started.
The very best solution to this problem is to use a turbo nozzle that rotates the water, cleans a bigger area, and does not leave lines.
In fact, I recommend a Turbo nozzle for cleaning Vinyl siding as well because a high-Pressure Washer can slice through Vinyl siding if the wrong tip is used.
4) Should I Use Detergent To Clean Concrete Driveway?
If you have a lot of greasy stains, or mold and mildew, we recommend you use a detergent to do the work, not you. Cleaners will loosen the dirt out of the open pores and give you a better clean. A pressure washer removes surface dirt but can’t get inside the pores as well.
Pressure washer driveway cleaner works like detergent for your clothes in your washing machine. Usually, products such as an all-purpose cleaners such as SealGreen Driveway and Garage Cleaner will handle this job in a hurry.
Here’s a great video on How to clean your concrete from the fine people at SealGreen.
Mold and mildew, rust, and oil stains need special treatment and special cleaners. Rust is a chemical stain. But oil penetrates into the pores of the concrete and is difficult to remove. Pressure washing will remove the surface oil allowing the oil inside to resurface, and the stain can return.
Before you use a pressure washer and detergent cleaner, Pre-soak the concrete with your garden hose, add soap, wait 10-15 minutes, then use the pressure washer to finish up.
6) Can You Remove Driveway Sealer With a Pressure Washer?
Don’t try to remove concrete sealers or coatings with a pressure washer. Most often, this leads to over-concentration of water pressure in small areas, which will etch the concrete.
Most of the resistance of your concrete is located in the top layer. Once that layer has been removed, the concrete is very susceptible to deterioration.
7) Should You Seal Concrete Driveway After Pressure Washing?
Lastly, you should consider sealing your concrete in order to keep dirt and stains from penetrating into your concrete’s open pores. This will keep your concrete cleaner longer and make it much easier to clean when you pressure wash it.
The dirt and stains will stay on the surface, making them easier to remove.
8) Is a Pressure Washer The Best Way To Clean Vinyl Siding?
If you have minimal amounts of dirt build-up, then a pressure washer is the quickest way to clean vinyl siding. But generally, the results are Not Permanent.
If you are seeing heavy amounts of “mold or mildew,” we highly recommend using a good spray-on vinyl siding cleaner instead.
With vinyl siding cleaners – you use a bug sprayer to simply spray on the solution than walk away. Some siding cleaners eliminate mold within minutes, others are more gradual, but within 1-2 weeks, the mold and mildew will disappear – usually for good.
There are many benefits of owning a pressure washer. Not only does it keep your property and possessions clean and in good condition, but it also protects against harmful bacteria that can build up. Regular pressure washings can prevent mildew and grime and reduce your property’s premature aging.
You’ll also save many hours trying to do it all by hand, only to be still disappointed with the results. There’s really nothing more satisfying than seeing the pressure washer do all of the hard work for you!
We’ve reviewed three fantastic pressure washers, so the one you decide to go for will depend on your budget and needs, as well as how often you’ll be using it.
Our number one pick is the Simpson Mega-Shot gas-powered Pressure Washer with its Honda 190CC engine and 3200 PSI – this thing is a beast.
Our runner-up, the Briggs & Stratton S2200 Pressure Washer, is a little more “tame” with 2200 PSI but still offers 1.2 GPM, 25’ High-Pressure Hose, Turbo Nozzle, and Detergent Foamer.
However, if you’re looking for the best value, check out Sun Joe’s SPX3000, which is also one of the best all-around pressure washers for light-duty homeowner tasks. With four easy-to-attach spray tips to choose from, it can tackle any cleaning job, whether light or tough.
Thanks for visiting BestHomeGear, and don’t forget to leave us a comment or suggestion below!