In this article, we’ll dig deep to help you decide – what is the Best Pressure Washer for Concrete Driveways, and also help you discover how to clean a driveway.
Have you ever used one of these fantastic tools to pressure wash a driveway? If not, a driveway pressure washer makes it super easy to clean your driveway and can save you countless hours of scrubbing with a brush. If you’re wondering What PSI do I need to Clean Concrete, or Can I damage Concrete with a Pressure washer, we’ll help you sort all that out as well.
Our number one value choice is the Sun Joe SPX3000, but our #1 best overall choice is the Simpson MSH3125 MegaShot Gas Pressure Washer. It’s an all-around high-pressure (3,200 PSI) pressure washer, that cleans everything from your driveway, walkway, fences, and patio furniture to even your vehicles!
Best Pressure Washer For Driveways 2020
It also comes with a turbo nozzle, which cleans up to 40% faster than a standard spray tip. Don’t just take our word for it though. It’s PWMA Performance Certified and was tested and verified by an independent lab, ensuring you take home everything promised and more.
Many of the pressure washers on the market just aren’t cut out for the job. Often, they don’t have the power to remove tough dirt and grime, or harder to remove substances like oil on your driveway. Low-cost pressure washers also typically have pumps with very low life expectancies, sometimes as low as 60-100 hours.
|Editor’s Choice||Runner Up||Best Value|
|Simpson Cleaning MSH3125 MegaShot Gas Pressure Washer Powered by Honda GC190, 3200 PSI at 2.5 GPM, black||Briggs & Stratton S2200 2200 MAX PSI at 1.0 GPM Electric Pressure Washer with Detergent Foamer, 25-Foot High-Pressure Hose, and Turbo Nozzle||Sun Joe SPX3000 2030 Max PSI 1.76 GPM 14.5-Amp Electric High Pressure Washer, Cleans Cars/Fences/Patios|
|$398.00||Price not available||$149.00|
|SEE ON AMAZON||SEE ON AMAZON||SEE ON AMAZON|
It can be a tough decision deciding which pressure washer to pick. There are so many options on the market, many making bold claims about their performance only to not be able to back these up.
We’ve put a lot of research to make your decision easier. We’ve read the reviews, the manufacturers manuals, and watched videos of them in action to make sure you’re making the very best decision when it comes to which pressure washer should you buy.
We’ll give you all of the pros and cons of each product, as well as letting you know real user reviews so you can be confident in your decision.
There’s a lot to like about our #1 Pick – The Simpson MegaShot Pressure washer.
First off it’s got a premium Honda 190cc engine, with an axial cam pump. Top all that off with a 25 ft. morflex spray hose and premium connectors – and you’re already in fantastic shape to pressure wash anything!
The Simpson MegaShot is an Amazon bestseller and includes a welded steel frame and larger 10″ pneumatic wheels vs. solid rubber wheels that don’t traverse over uneven ground well at all.
Simpson – Editors Pick Best Pressure Washer For Driveways
- HONDA GC190 premium residential engine
- Maintenance-free OEM Technologies axial cam pump
- 1/4 in. x 25 ft MorFlex hose is non-marring, kink and abrasion resistant and equipped M22 connection
- Welded steel construction frame
- 10” Premium pneumatic wheels
- 5 Quick connect nozzle tips: 0°, 15°, 25°, 40°, and soap
- Power washer pull cord is designed for easy pull – may not start with a hard pull
- Overfilling oil can cause it to leak into the fuel tank
- The engine died after the first 5 minutes of running. (can be typical for new motors)
- Quiet instant start and stop system
- Includes a turbo nozzle to clean up to 40% faster
- Detergent foamer
- 3 spray tips included
- GFCI protected 35-foot electrical cord
- Dealing with the cord can be difficult
- It’s not light, but the wheels work great for rolling.
- Lifting it can be heavy for some people.
Briggs & Stratton Pressure Washer Video:
The Briggs & Stratton Electric Pressure Washer S2200 (2200 PSI) is our Runner-up model for driveways for good reason.
It’s an incredibly versatile product, making light work of keeping your property and possessions clean.
Quickly and effortlessly clean your driveway, fencing, patio, walkways, or vehicles with 2200 PSI.
It can easily switch between a variety of cleaning tasks, with 3 spray tips included (15°, 40° & turbo).
Owners have found the Briggs & Stratton to be a good unit for the price, well built and very useful. Others are delighted with how sturdy it is and appreciate the power considering how compact the unit is.
Other users found it works very well but frustrating when the cords got tangled when using around the house. Unfortunately, the only alternative is a gas-powered pressure washer, but that’s a different animal.
Features of the Briggs & Stratton S2200
- High powered electrical motor – 2200 MAX PSI (Pounds per square inch) at 1.0 GPM (Gallons per minute). 1.2 MAX GPM at 900 PSI
- Instant start and stop system – The induction motor only runs when the spray gun trigger is pulled, creating a quieter cleaning experience
- Turbo nozzle – Clean up to 40% faster with the easy and quick to attach turbo nozzle
- 12 months of limited consumer warranty.
- Tested, certified and verified by the Pressure Washer’s Manufacturer’s Association (PWMA). All water pressure and flow rate claims were independently assessed in a lab.
- Detergent Foamer – You can upgrade your cleaning potential in no time, simply by adding soap to the easily attachable detergent foamer.
- Easily switch tasks – You could be cleaning oil from a driveway one minute and the next washing your car with the 3 different spray tips (15°, 40° & turbo)
- Safety – The 35-foot electrical cord is GFCI protected
- 25-foot high-pressure hose – No need to struggle reaching hard to get to places with the 25-foot high
- Dimensions: 18 x 32 x 13.5 inches
- Item Weight – 41.2 pounds
We’ve chosen the Briggs & Stratton S2200 for its all-around cleaning power. You’re getting much more than just a power washer, this takes care of all of your cleaning needs…you’ll never again have to worry about scrubbing by hand.
It’s lightweight, mobile and it’s extended hose and cord allows you to get to harder to reach places.
Briggs & Stratton
- Durable and powerful Honda GC160 – 160cc engine, ideal for more heavy-duty use at your home
- 24 months of limited consumer warranty and 3 months limited commercial warranty
- 3 quick and easy to connect tips (0°, 25°, Soap) allow you to tackle a wide variety of cleaning tasks.
- Premium performance comes at a price.
- Some owners mention leaky oil, but it seems to be isolated.
The PowerBoss Gas-powered pressure washer is the most powerful of 3 we’ve thoroughly researched.
It has a water pressure of 2800 MAX PSI and flow-rate of 2.73 MAX GPM at 2400 PSI.
A long-lasting Honda GC160 engine is ideal for medium-duty use.
It also comes with a 25’ high-pressure hose, 4 quick-connect spray nozzle tips for precise cleaning control and a 1-gallon detergent tank.
Features and Benefits
The PowerBoss Gas Pressure Washer 2800 is our heavy-duty choice. It’s also suitable for use on fencing, patios, decking, and paint prep.
The 0-degree spray tip creates a concentrated and powerful spray for things such as stain and oil removal.
The 25-degree spray tip is designed to clean surfaces such as concrete, hardwoods, decking, patios, and driveways.
Then there’s the low-pressure soap spray which can be used for applying cleaning detergent
- 10” heavy-duty pneumatic wheels for use across multiple terrains
- 1-gallon detergent tank – you won’t have to refill regularly
- Reach higher with 25 feet of flexible hose that can withstand high pressure, allowing you to reach tough to get to dirt and grime
- Independently verified performance claims
- Maintenance-free axial cam pump with easy start technology – Low effort and quick and easy starting
Users love the power and it’s easy to assemble so you can start using it fast. The hose and wand are also higher quality than a lot of the units that are on other models.
Many owners love the Honda engine, known for its quality and quiet operation.
One user recommends you run it of gas before winter sets in so it won’t freeze up. Of course, that’s just for people up north where gas can freeze. They also advise to release the pressure and disconnect the water supply line before disconnecting the wand.
If you’re looking for a more powerful and flexible pressure washer then this could be the unit for you.
- Dual Detergent tanks – 2x 0.9-liter removable tanks
- Accessories – As well as the 2 removable detergent tanks, it also comes with 5 quick-connect spray tips, a 34-inch extension wand, 20-foot high-pressure hose, 35-foot power cord (CFCI protected), garden hose adaptor and needle clean-out tool.
- Total Stop System (TSS) – Prolongs pump life, when the trigger isn’t engaged it automatically shuts off
- Lower powered, less PSI than other models on the list.
- Connector/coupler is plastic out of the box and owners like more durable metal.
- Some owners like aftermarket nozzles.
If you’re on a budget but are still looking for a powerful, yet versatile pressure washer then the Sun Joe Pressure Washer could be what you’re looking for.
America’s number #1 best selling pressure washer the Sun Joe SPX3000 is our “Best value” choice, to tackle a wide range of everyday cleaning tasks, from removing stubborn mildew, washing fences to cleaning your car.
It’s not hard to see why Pressure Joe is so popular. Owners have found it lightweight and easy to move around. It’s also very quiet and doesn’t have a noisy gas engine.
Some users have replaced the plastic connector with a brass or metal version. The manufacturer replaced this free of charge, however, they sell for a reasonable price on their website.
Features of the Sun Joe Pressure Washer:
- Lightweight, weighing only 31 pounds
- Backed by a full 2-year warranty
- Dual tanks – Allows you to store 2 different types of detergent. Switch with a simple turn of the dial. It means you’ll never have to empty and wash out a tank to switch jobs
- 5 quick and easy connect spray tips – From a punishing pinpoint precision clean to a powerful band spray. With 0º, 15º, 25º, 40º and soap nozzles you can attack everything from light to heavy-duty cleaning tasks
- Total Stop System (TSS) – When you’re not engaging the trigger the pump is automatically shut off, saving energy and prolonging the life of the pump
- PSI 2030, GPM 1.76
- Motor – 14.5 Amp/1800 Watt
- 34-inch extension spray wand, as well as 20-foot high-pressure hose and 35-foot power cord. Demolish every bit of dirt. Reach high and reach low.
- Easy to assemble
The best pressure washer for your Car or Truck? Check out the top 5 here
- 2150 PSI pressure spray
- Four spray nozzles (0°, 15°, 25°, 40°)
- Onboard Detergent tank
- Onboard Hose Reel
- Extremely easy on your budget for this Power
- 1.8 GPM flow rate
- 26’ power cord
- Had plastic parts – Manufacturer recently upgraded to Metal Wand and Connectors
If you are looking for high psi in a complete pressure washer package for under $150, then you are probably looking for this pressure washer From Pax cess.
With this machine, you’ll get 4 different spray nozzles that offer plenty of versatility for your job.
If you need high power output but aren’t willing to pay premium prices for it just yet, then this pressure washer has your name written all over it. Pretty much everybody was astonished at how well it cleans, especially since it is so inexpensive, as demonstrated by some of the very best reviews on Amazon.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is the Terminology Used For Pressure Washers?
- PSI = Pounds Per Square Inch
- GPM = Gallons Per Minute
- CPU = Cleaning Power Units
How Long Do Gas and Electric Pumps Last?
Typically a gas pump will last between 300 – 3000 hours, depending on the quality of the unit.
Generally, electric pressure washers last longer than their gas alternative as there are no combustible parts to wear out.
How Much PSI – Do you Need to Clean Concrete?
The recommended minimum PSI for cleaning concrete is 2200 PSI, however, if you can afford it – 3,000 PSI will get the job done quicker.
Can I damage my Concrete with a Pressure Washer?
Few people realize that you can damage your concrete driveway or patio by pressure washing. Most believe that concrete is solid – therefore indestructible, but, using a pressure washer with an incorrect tip or using too much pressure or a combination of both could actually etch the concrete.
Cleaning Driveway With Pressure Washer (Tips)
Here are a few suggestions to allow you to safely pressure wash your driveway or other concrete surfaces. You can also apply these concrete driveway cleaning tips on just about any driveway surface you choose to pressure wash, so here we go:
1) Should I use the normal green tip when washing?
The red and yellow tips concentrate all the water pressure into a very small area. Use extreme caution with Red and Yellow pressure washer tips as they can blast the top off and possibly etch the concrete. The white and the black tips are broader, fan out more and are designed for washing cars, and siding, or wood decks.
2) What is the Maximum Pressure Setting Should I Use?
The maximum pressure washer you should use around the home should be between 3,000 and 3,500 PSI. Nothing more powerful is needed for household maintenance. Small electric pressure washers may not be a good option for cleaning hard surfaces like concrete if they don’t have enough PSI to tackle those greasy stains.
3) How Do You Get Rid of Lines In Concrete?
A common complaint heard from folks is the lines or stains on the concrete after pressure washing. Those lines are usually caused because you get tired and don’t take as much time as when you got started. The very best solution to this problem is to use a turbo nozzle that rotates the water, cleans a bigger area, and does not leave lines.
In fact, I recommend a Turbo nozzle for cleaning Vinyl siding as well, because a Pressure Washer can slice through Vinyl siding if the wrong tip is used.
4) Should I Use Detergent To Clean Concrete Driveway?
If you have a ton of greasy stains, or mold and mildew, we recommend you use a detergent to do the work – not you. Cleaners pull the dirt out of the open pores and give you a better clean. A pressure washer removes surface dirt but can’t get inside the pores.
A cleaner on your driveway works like detergent for your clothes in your washing machine. Usually, products such as an all-purpose cleaner such as SealGreen Driveway and Garage Cleaner will handle this job in a hurry.
Here’s a great video on How to clean your concrete from the fine people at SealGreen.
Mold and mildew, rust and oil stains need special treatment and special cleaners. Rust is a chemical stain. But oil penetrates into the pores of the concrete and is difficult to remove. Pressure washing will remove the surface oil allowing the oil inside to resurface and the stain can return.
Before you use a pressure washer and detergent cleaner, Pre-soak the concrete with your garden hose, add soap, wait 10-15 minutes, then use the pressure washer to finish up.
6) Should You Remove Driveway Sealer With Pressure Washer?
Don’t try to remove concrete sealers or coatings with a pressure washer. Most often this leads to over-concentration of water pressure in small areas which will etch the concrete. Most of the resistance of your concrete is located in the top layer. Once that layer has been removed, the concrete is very susceptible to deterioration.
7) Should You Seal Concrete Driveway After Pressure Washing?
Lastly, you should consider sealing your concrete in order to keep dirt and stains from penetrating into your concrete’s open pores. This will keep your concrete cleaner longer and make it much easier to clean when you do pressure wash it. The dirt and stains will stay on the surface, making them easier to remove.
8) Is a Pressure Washer The Best Way To Clean Vinyl Siding?
If you have minimal amounts of dirt build-up, then a pressure washer is the quickest way to clean vinyl siding.
However, If you are seeing heavy amounts of “mold or mildew” – we highly recommend instead, using a good vinyl siding cleaner.
With vinyl siding cleaners like these – you use a bug sprayer to simply spray on – and walk away. Some work within minutes, others are more gradual, and within 1-2 weeks the mold and mildew will disappear – usually for good.
There are many benefits of owning a pressure washer. Not only does it keep your property and possessions clean and in good condition, but it also protects against harmful bacteria that can build up. Regular pressure washings can prevent mildew, grime and can reduce premature aging of your property.
You’ll also save many hours trying to do it all by hand, only to still be disappointed with the results. There’s really nothing more satisfying than seeing the pressure washer do all of the hard work for you!
We’ve reviewed 3 fantastic pressure washers, so the one you decide to go for will depend on your budget and needs, as well as how often you’ll be using it.
Our number one pick is the Simpson Mega-Shot gas-powered Pressure Washer with its Honda 190CC engine and 3200 PSI – this thing is a beast.
Our runner-up, the Briggs & Stratton S2200 Pressure Washer is a little more “tame” with 2200 PSI, but still offers 1.2 GPM, 25’ High-Pressure Hose, Turbo Nozzle and Detergent Foamer.
If you’re looking for the best value however, check out Sun Joe’s SPX3000 which is also one of the best all-around pressure washers for light-duty homeowner tasks. With 4 easy to attach spray tips to choose from it can tackle any cleaning job, whether light or tough.
Thanks for visiting BestHomeGear and don’t forget to leave us a comment or suggestion below!
- How do you safely use a pressure washer? – CDC.gov
- The Best Wood Chipper You Can Buy – Besthomegear.com
- Do you want to use your pressure washer most efficiently? – BriggsandStratton.com
- Read about our favorite pressure washer under $300 – BesthomeGear.com
- The 8 Best Wet Dry Shop Vac | [Updated Reviews] For 2020 - October 19, 2020
- Best Leaf Vacuum Mulcher Blower [Reviews] For 2020 - October 19, 2020
- The Best Stihl Leaf Blower – Reviews For 2020 - October 19, 2020