In this article, we’re going to dig deep to help you make a decision on What is the Best Pressure Washer for Concrete Driveways.
Owning a pressure washer makes it easy to wash your driveway and can save you countless hours scrubbing with a brush, only to find out you’ve still not removed stubborn dirt and grime. So if you’re wondering What PSI do I need to Clean Concrete, or Can I damage Concrete with a Pressure washer, read on!
Our number one choice is Briggs & Stratton Electric Pressure Washer 2200 PSI 1.2 GPM. It’s an all-around fantastic pressure washer, that cleans everything from your driveway, walkway, fences and patio furniture to even your vehicles!
Best Choices in 2018
It also comes with a turbo nozzle, which cleans up to 40% faster than a standard spray tip. Don’t just take our word for it though. It’s PWMA Performance Certified and was tested and verified by an independent lab, ensuring you take home everything promised and more.
Many of the pressure washers on the market just aren’t cut out for the job. Often, they don’t have the power to remove tough dirt and grime, or harder to remove substances like oil on your driveway. Low-cost pressure washers also typically have pumps with very low life expectancies, sometimes as low as 60-100 hours.
|Brand and Model||Image||Rating (See Amazon Reviews)||PSI||GPM||Price and Availability|
|Briggs & Stratton S2200||2200||1.2||See the latest Price on Amazon for the Briggs & Stratton|
|PowerBoss Gas Pressure Washer||3100||2.7||See the latest Price on Amazon for the PowerBoss|
|Sun Joe SPX3000||2030||1.76||See the latest Price on Amazon for the SPX3000|
It can be a tough decision deciding which pressure washer to pick. There are so many options on the market, many making bold claims about their performance only to not be able to back these up.
We’ve put a lot of research to make your decision easier. We’ve read the reviews, the manufacturers manuals, and watched videos of them in action to make sure you’re making the very best decision when it comes to which pressure washer should you buy.
We’ll give you all of the pros and cons of each product, as well as letting you know real life users views so you can be confident in your decision.
Top Choice – Briggs & Stratton Electric Pressure Washer S2200
- Quiet instant start and stop system
- Includes a turbo nozzle to clean up to 40% faster
- Detergent foamer
- 3 spray tips included
- GFCI protected 35-foot electrical cord
- Dealing with the cord can be difficult
- It’s not light, but the wheels work great for rolling.
- Lifting it can be heavy for some people.
The Briggs & Stratton Electric Pressure Washer S2200 (2200 PSI) is our number one model for driveways.
It’s an incredibly versatile product, making light work of keeping your property and possessions clean.
Quickly and effortless clean your driveway, fencing, patio, walkways, or vehicles with 2200 PSI.
It can easily switch between a variety of cleaning tasks, with 3 spray tips included (15°, 40° & turbo).
Owners have found it a good unit for the price, well built and useful. Others are delighted with how sturdy it is and appreciate the power considering how compact the unit is.
Other users found it works very well but frustrating when the cords got tangled when using around the house.
Unfortunately, the only alternative is a gas powered pressure washer, but that’s a different animal.
Features of the Briggs & Stratton S2200
- High powered electrical motor – 2200 MAX PSI (Pounds per square inch) at 1.0 GPM (Gallons per minute). 1.2 MAX GPM at 900 PSI
- Instant start and stop system – The induction motor only runs when the spray gun trigger is pulled, creating a quieter cleaning experience
- Turbo nozzle – Clean up to 40% faster with the easy and quick to attach turbo nozzle
- 12 months limited consumer warranty.
- Tested, certified and verified by the Pressure Washer’s Manufacturer’s Association (PWMA). All water pressure and flow rate claims were independently assessed in a lab.
- Detergent Foamer – You can upgrade your cleaning potential in no time, simply by adding soap to the easily attachable detergent foamer.
- Easily switch tasks – You could be cleaning oil from a driveway one minute and the next washing your car with the 3 different spray tips (15°, 40° & turbo)
- Safety – The 35-foot electrical cord is GFCI protected
- 25-foot high-pressure hose – No need to struggle reaching hard to get to places with the 25-foot high
- Dimensions: 18 x 32 x 13.5 inches
- Item Weight – 41.2 pounds
We’ve chosen the Briggs & Stratton S2200 for it’s all around cleaning power. You’re getting much more than just a power washer, this takes care of all of your cleaning needs…you’ll never again have to worry about scrubbing by hand.
It’s lightweight, mobile and it’s extended hose and cord allows you to get to harder to reach places.
Heavy Duty Choice – PowerBoss Gas Pressure Washer
- Durable and powerful Honda GC190 187cc engine, ideal for more heavy-duty use at your home
- 24 months of limited consumer warranty and 3 months limited commercial warranty
- 4 quick and easy to connect tips (0°, 15°, 40°, soap) allow you to tackle a wide variety of cleaning tasks.
- Premium performance comes at a price.
- Some owners mention leaky oil, but it seems to be isolated.
The PowerBoss Gas powered pressure washer is the most powerful of 3 we’ve thoroughly researched.
It has a water pressure of 3100 MAX PSI and flow rate of 2.7 MAX GPM at 2500 PSI.
A long-lasting Honda GC190 engine is ideal for medium-duty use.
It also comes with a 25’ high-pressure hose, 4 quick connect spray nozzle tips for precise cleaning control and a 1-gallon detergent tank.
Features and Benefits
The PowerBoss Gas Pressure Washer 3100 is our heavy duty choice. It’s also suitable for use on fencing, patios, decking, and paint prep.
The 0-degree spray tip creates a concentrated and powerful spray for things such as stain and oil removal.
The 15-degree spray tip is designed to clean surfaces such as concrete, hardwoods, decking, patios, and driveways.
The 40-degree spray tip creates a wide surface area to clean delicate surfaces such as your car, boat, and soft woods.
Then there’s the low-pressure soap spray which should be used for applying cleaning detergent
- 10” heavy-duty pneumatic wheels for use across multiple terrains
- 1-gallon detergent tank – you won’t have to refill regularly
- Reach higher with 25 feet of flexible hose that can withstand high pressure, allowing you to reach tough to get to dirt and grime
- Independently verified performance claims
- Maintenance-free axial cam pump with easy start technology – Low effort and quick and easy starting
Users love the power and it’s easy to assemble so you can start using it fast. The hose and wand are also a higher quality than a lot of the units that are on other models.
Many owners love the Honda engine, known for their quality and quiet operation.
One user recommends you run it of gas before winter sets in so it won’t freeze up. Of course, that’s just for people up north where gas can freeze. They also advise to release the pressure and disconnect the water supply line before disconnecting the wand.
If you’re looking for a more powerful and flexible pressure washer then this could be the unit for you.
Value Choice – Sun Joe SPX3000
- Dual Detergent tanks – 2x 0.9-liter removable tanks
- Accessories – As well as the 2 removable detergent tanks, it also comes with 5 quick connect spray tips, a 34-inch extension wand, 20-foot high-pressure hose, 35-foot power cord (CFCI protected), garden hose adaptor and needle clean-out tool.
- Total Stop System (TSS) – Prolongs pump life, when the trigger isn’t engaged it automatically shuts off
- Lower powered, less PSI than other models on the list.
- Connector/coupler is plastic out of the box and owners like more durable metal.
- Some owners like aftermarket nozzles.
If you’re on a budget but are still looking for a powerful, yet versatile pressure washer then the Sun Joe Pressure Washer could be what you’re looking for.
America’s number 1 best selling pressure washer SPX3000 is our value choice, to tackle a wide range of everyday cleaning tasks, from removing stubborn mildew, washing fences to cleaning your car.
It’s not hard to see why Pressure Joe is so popular. Owners have found it lightweight and easy to move around. It’s also very quiet and doesn’t have a noisy gas engine.
Some users have replaced the plastic connector with a brass or metal version. The manufacturer replaced this free of charge, however, they sell for a reasonable price on their website.
Features of the Pressure Joe:
- Lightweight, weighing only 31 pounds
- Backed by a full 2-year warranty
- Dual tanks – Allows you to store 2 different types of detergent. Switch with a simple turn of the dial. It means you’ll never have to empty and wash out a tank to switch jobs
- 5 quick and easy connect spray tips – From a punishing pinpoint precision clean to a powerful band spray. With 0º, 15º, 25º, 40º and soap nozzles you can attack everything from light to heavy duty cleaning tasks
- Total Stop System (TSS) – When you’re not engaging the trigger the pump is automatically shut off, saving energy and prolonging the life of the pump
- PSI 2030, GPM 1.76
- Motor – 14.5 Amp/1800 Watt
- 34-inch extension spray wand, as well as 20-foot high-pressure hose and 35-foot power cord. Demolish every bit of dirt. Reach high and reach low.
- Easy to assemble
Want the best pressure washer for your car? Read about our favorites in this article here!
There are many benefits of owning a pressure washer. Not only does it keep your property and possessions clean and in good condition, but it also protects against harmful bacteria that can build up. Regular pressure washings can prevent mildew, grime and can reduce premature aging of your property.
You’ll also save many hours trying to do it all by hand, only to still be disappointed with the results. There’s nothing more satisfying than to see the pressure washer doing all of the hard work for you!
We’ve reviewed 3 fantastic pressure washers, so the one you decide to go for will depend on your budget and needs, as well as how often you’ll be using it.
Our number one pick was the Briggs & Stratton Electric Pressure Washer with 2200 PSI, 1.2 GPM, 25’ High-Pressure Hose, Turbo Nozzle and Detergent Foamer
We believe not only does it offer great value for money but it’s also the most all round all in one unit.
You’ll have all the power of a gas alternative, without the smell of gas and in a lighter weight compact version. With 4 easy to attach spray tips to choose from it can tackle any cleaning job, whether light or tough.
Key Terms and FAQ- Understanding Pressure Washers
- PSI – Pounds Per Square Inch
- GPM – Gallons Per Minute
- CPU – Cleaning Power Units
How Long Do Gas and Electric Pumps Last?
Typically a gas pump will last between 300 – 3000 hours, depending on the quality of the unit.
Generally, electric pressure washers last longer than their gas alternative.
How Much PSI – Do you Need to Clean Concrete?
The recommended minimum PSI for cleaning concrete is 2200 PSI, however, if you can afford it – 3,000 PSI will get the job done quicker.
Can I damage my Concrete with a Pressure Washer?
Few people realize that you can damage your concrete driveway or patio by pressure washing. Most believe that concrete is solid – therefore indestructible, but, using a pressure washer with an incorrect tip or using too much pressure or a combination of both could actually etch the concrete.
Here are a few suggestions to allow you to safely pressure wash your driveway or other concrete surfaces. You can also apply these Tips for about any surface you choose to pressure wash, so here we go:
1) Use the normal green tip when washing. The red and yellow tips put all the pressure in a very small area and will blast the top off and possibly etch the concrete. The white and the black tips fan out more and are designed for washing cars, and siding or such.
2) The maximum pressure washer you should use around the home should be between 3,000 and 3,500 PSI. Nothing more powerful is needed for household maintenance. Small electric pressure washers may not be a good option for cleaning hard surfaces like concrete if they don’t have enough PSI to tackle those greasy stains.
3) A common complaint heard from folks are the lines left on the concrete after pressure washing. Those lines are usually caused because you get tired and don’t take as much time as when you got started. The very best solution to this problem is to use a turbo nozzle which rotates the water, cleans a bigger area, cleans well and does not leave lines. In fact, I recommend a Turbo nozzle for Vinyl siding as well, because a Pressure Washer can also cut through Vinyl if used improperly.
4) If you have a ton of greasy stains, or mold and mildew, we recommend you use a detergent do the work – not you. Cleaners pull the dirt out of the open pores and give you a better clean. A pressure washer removes surface dirt but can’t get inside the pores. A cleaner on your driveway works like detergent for your clothes in your washing machine. Usually, an all-purpose cleaner such as SealGreen Driveway and Garage Cleaner will handle the job.
5) Mold and mildew, rust and oil stains need special treatment and special cleaners. Rust is a chemical stain. Oil penetrates into the pores of the concrete and is difficult to remove. Pressure washing will remove the surface oil allowing the oil inside to resurface and the stain returns.
6) Don’t try to remove concrete sealers or coatings with a pressure washer. Most often this leads to over-concentration of water pressure in small areas which will etch the concrete. Most of the resistance of your concrete is located in the top layer. Once that layer has been removed, the concrete is very susceptible to deterioration.
7) Here’s a great video on How to clean your concrete from the fine people at SealGreen.
8) Lastly, you should consider sealing your concrete in order to keep dirt and stains from penetrating into your concrete’s open pores. This will keep your concrete cleaner longer and make it much easier to clean when you do pressure wash it. The dirt and stains will stay on the surface, making them easier to remove.
Top Tip For a Better Clean
- Detergent Foamers – You can increase the speed of your cleaning dramatically by using suitable detergents. For this reason, you should consider Pressure Washers that include Detergent dispensers.