If you’re looking for the Best Vinyl Siding Cleaner for your home, you’re in the right place. Today, we share the results from our research and list the top-rated best vinyl siding cleaners you can buy – and, more importantly, which vinyl cleaners work best!
We’ve all seen the dreaded “green monster” of mold or mildew on the neighbor’s siding – or, heaven forbid – your vinyl siding 🙂
Never fear; while each of the Seven best vinyl siding cleaners listed in our Vinyl Siding Cleaner Buying Guide works slightly differently, every one of these “cleaners for vinyl siding” makes it easier to remove mold, mildew, and dirt from vinyl siding, and most of them, without using a pressure washer!
“RMR-86″ Vinyl siding cleaner, for instance, is pre-mixed and ready to go, whereas a product like “Wet & Forget” is mixed with five parts water to 1 part of concentrate.
If you’re witnessing any of the above vinyl stain conditions, your house has probably gone too long between baths. This is the “Before & After”– following the application of vinyl siding cleaner.
Years ago, the only solution for cleaning vinyl siding – would be to rent or own a Pressure Washer or scrub the siding with a soft brush and garden hose to remove mold. Today, however, there is a much quicker, easier, and less expensive way to clean vinyl siding effectively.
Get your hands on one of the Best Siding Cleaner products below. These products are specially formulated to guard against existing and future mold, and you will be amazed at how easy they are to use.
The 8 Best Vinyl Siding Cleaners
RMR-86 Instant Mold and Mildew Stain Remover
The RMR-86 Mold Removal product is advertised as a miracle cleaner, and we think it lives up to that claim. RMR-86 cleans stubborn mold and mildew within 15 seconds or less – and does so almost effortlessly.
You don’t need to scrub or brush; you fill a bug sprayer, spray the stained area, wait for 15 seconds, and watch the transformation begin. I have used this product repeatedly and “always” with great success.
The RMR-86 product linked here is for a 2-Gallon container (128 ounces) – that is applied full strength (not concentrate), and per manufacturer, this amount of mold killer – will cover 500 sq. ft of material.
Another thing we love about RMR-86 is its versatility. You can use it on any surface: wood, vinyl, concrete, fiberglass, and siding.
Interestingly, it can penetrate porous surfaces quite well without changing their color. It’s genuinely one of the best Vinyl siding cleaners on the market.
Check out the RMR-86 Vinyl Siding Cleaner Video:[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB0zh8MAP7s]
- Garden/Pump Sprayer – pre-mixed vinyl siding cleaner solution
- No Manual Scrubbing
- Fast Action
- Works On Different Surfaces
- More Expensive Than Other Brands
- Bleach Can Damage Plants
- One Gallon To Treat 250 Sq. Feet
RMR-86 – Editor’s Pick – Best Vinyl Siding Cleaner
Wet and Forget 10587 Mold & Mildew Remover
If you don’t feel comfortable using a bleach-based cleaner, we’ve covered you. Wet & Forget is non-acidic and non-caustic; you can use it safely on any surface without worrying as much about harming animals or plants.
The manufacturer does. However, caution users to rinse all plants before and after the application. Otherwise, you could see some temporary browning or killing of leaves.
The Wet & Forget aim is to make your life easier and your cleaning smarter with a user-friendly – “spray and walk away” product. Rain will eventually remove any residue over time. Just like RMR-86, there is no need for abrasive scrubbing.
Of course, if you live in an arid climate – like the southwest – you could go weeks without rain, so Wet & Forget may not be your first choice 🙂
To use Wet & Forget, you will need a typical garden sprayer and water to mix the recommended five parts water to 1 part Wet and Forget concentrate. Spray liberally on the material you want to remove mold on, and walk away. Literally.
The “trade-off” from using RMR-86 instead is that Wet and Forget is a more gradual cleaning agent, and while you should see results within a week, Wet & Forget requires 1-3 months to remove visible mold and stains entirely.
Wet & Forget is still considered one of the best vinyl siding cleaners on the market, especially if you have time to allow the product to do its job and want the simplest application method.
One precaution to keep in mind is the weather conditions. If the product hasn’t thoroughly dried, rain would rinse it before it activates. Also, windblown debris may lead to an unsightly outcome. Just pick a clear day, and you’re good to go.
- Garden/Pump Sprayer – For Wet and Forget – Mix five parts water to 1 part Cleaning solution and apply to vinyl siding.
- 2,000 Sq. Feet per 5 Gallon Mixed Product
- No Scrubbing
- Safer For Plants
- Lasting Mold Removal (Stays Gone)
- It takes Up To 30 Days To Remove Mold
Wet & Forget – Mold & Mildew Siding Cleaner
Wet & Forget
Mold Armor FG503 E-Z House Wash
This is a cleaner that’s dedicated to outdoor use. You only need to spray the product, wait 10 minutes, and rinse it. The 64-ounce bottle can clean up to 4500 square feet, which is ample space. You can also purchase a handy spray adapter included.
Watch Mold-Armor E-Z House Wash Video in Action below:
As one of the best siding cleaner formulas, it quickly removes mold and mildew stains without scrubbing. Your exterior will instantly regain its old luster, and you can dilute it to clean mild stains later as needed.
- Garden/Pump Sprayer – pre-mixed vinyl siding cleaner solution – Or Garden Hose attachment
We recommend applying Mold Armor as a pre-mixed solution and using a garden pump for the best results.
- Good Mold & Mildew Removal
- Won’t Fade Paint or Vinyl
- Bleach Formula – Can Harm Plants
- Requires Hose Applicator
Mold Armor – EZ House Wash Siding Cleaner
Best Siding & Roof Cleaner: “Spray & Forget” Roof Cleaner
The name sums it up, Spray & Forget cleaner is one of the most natural siding cleaners. While the best results from users were those used on vinyl siding, the manufacturer also claims it is effective on wooden and metal surfaces, especially roof shingles.
For those with environmental concerns, Spray & Forget is listed as non-corrosive; it has no bleach, acids, lye, phosphates, or heavy metals. Making it an eco-friendly product by definition.
The non-corrosive formula doesn’t require scrubbing or washing to eliminate mold and algae. Moreover, Spray & Forget boasts that their product will keep your roof clean for 6-9 months after using it.
Be sure that using this product for roofs allows the roof to be excellent – not heated – before application.
Spray And Forget Roof Cleaner Video:
- Mix Spray and Forget solution: 1 gal. Water to 22 oz. Parts solution and apply with Garden Sprayer
- Environmentally Friendly
- Non Corrosive
- Takes Time To Work
- Less Potent – Requires Re-Application
Spray & Forget – Roof and Siding Cleaner
Spray & Forget
Best “Biodegradable” Cleaner: “Simple Green” – Oxy Siding Cleaner
Simple Green is an all-purpose, biodegradable, environmentally friendly siding cleaner. It was developed for multi-purpose contractor jobs, which explains its versatility. It can be used on a multitude of surfaces; Vinyl, wood, and metal. It removes grease and mold efficiently.
The biodegradable properties mean it’s entirely safe for outdoor and indoor use. No need to worry about your children or pets. The fragrance-free claim is a little misleading, however. The product smells clean and non-chemical, but it does have a noticeable cleaning product odor.
Worthy to note is that it’s a full product, 1 gallon of Simple Green for Vinyl Siding can produce about 64 mixed gallons. You should dilute it according to the type of surface you’re using it for and the type of stains.
Also, with its safer, more gentle approach to the cleaning solution, Simple Green does not attack mold and mildew like the more potent formulas above. This is a soft and more environmentally friendly approach to vinyl siding cleaning.
- Mix Simple Green Solution; 64 part water to 1 part solution 64:1
- No Respirator Required
- Versatile On Many Surfaces
- Works Best with a Pressure Washer
- Won’t Remove Stubborn Stains
Simple Green – Biodegradable Siding Cleaner
Best Priced Siding Cleaner: Krud Kutter HW01 Clear House Wash
Who said you have to pay a fortune for a good cleaner? Krud Kutter House Wash destroys this myth by being a perfect cleaner for people on a tight budget. It’s a bleach-free fast-acting siding cleaner that you’ll be pleased to use.
“Sporex” is a unique additive inside the Krud Kutter proprietary formula. It is said to dissolve algae, mold, mildew, and fungus stains, making it an excellent product for washing vinyl siding.
The product is biodegradable and safe to use around vegetation as long as you wash them before and after use. A necessary precaution is to not let the product dry on the surface. You should rinse it after 10-15 minutes.
- Garden Sprayer – Mix 19:1 Water to the Solution and apply to vinyl siding.
- Removes Chalking, Fading on Wood, or Vinyl
- Works better with a Pressure Washer
- Add Bleach For Stubborn Stains
Krud Kutter – Best Value Siding Cleaner
Best Siding Cleaner with Sprayer Attached: “30 Seconds” Cleaner
Tired of getting on a ladder to reach your roof and tricky places where mold finds a home? This version of 30 Seconds Cleaner solves the problem with its brilliant Hose End Sprayer built right into the container.
Use this product by attaching the bottle to your garden hose, adjusting the sprayer, and apply with water to your siding.
You won’t need to scrub the product after spraying. Just spray it on, wait for 10-15 minutes, then hose it off. Be careful to calculate the right amount of product based on the size of your house. Our link is for a 3-Gallon Pack which will only cover up to 1200 sq. ft. of vinyl siding.
It’s better to have too much than not enough product to finish what you started.
- Garden Hose – Applicator included
- Hose Attachment For Simple Application
- Needs No Scrubbing
- More Expensive Brand
- Bleaches Clothes (Wear Old Clothes)
30 Seconds – Siding Cleaner with Hose Applicator
Vinyl Renu – Vinyl Siding Restorer
This one offers a different approach to restoring your vinyl siding. Vinyl Renu is engineered to restore vinyl siding to its original color and sheen. Still, it does so through its eco-friendly ingredients, which penetrate the surface reversing the effects of age.
It’s a miracle product that not only restores vinyl siding but works on metal siding, stucco, Hardie board, garage doors, front doors, mailboxes, and the list goes on…
However, while this product works great to restore entire material surfaces, it will not magically renew defective, pitted, or otherwise damaged surfaces.
- 1 Gallon restores up to 350 Sq. Ft.
- ECO- Friendly – No VOC – Water-Based solution
- Warranted for ten years
- Easy To Apply with Pump Sprayer
- Works on Any Siding
Vinyl Renu also manufactures its cleaning solution called Renu Cleaner, the only recommended pre-treatment before applying the Vinyl Renu restoring solution.
- Works on Any Vinyl Siding
- Less Expensive Than New Vinyl Siding
- Will Not Cover Mold or Mildew
Video Instructions: How To Use Renu Cleaner and Vinyl Renu Restorer
At only .34 cents per square foot vs. the national average of $4.00/Sq. Ft to install new vinyl siding, we think Vinyl Renu is a great solution (pardon the pun), for anyone with old, faded, or chalky vinyl siding.
Indeed, if your vinyl siding is in good condition and covered with mold or mildew – we recommend any of the seven vinyl siding cleaners we have reviewed (Above).
Vinyl Renu – Vinyl Siding Restorer
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) Vinyl Siding Cleaner:
Which Vinyl Siding Cleaner Do I Need?
Most Vinyl Siding cleaners are formulated to spray on and walk away, leaving 1 – 3 months before achieving full results. Other products we’ve reviewed require hosing the siding off with water about 10-15 minutes after applying the chemical spray.
These products cost more due to the full-strength application and more limited coverage of your house. However, the spray and hose-off products (vs. pressure washers) work almost instantly.
Whichever type of siding cleaner you choose, these specially formulated mold and mildew removers do fantastic work, and in a short time, your Vinyl Siding should look as good as new.
How Much Vinyl Siding Cleaner Do I Need?
The size of your home determines the “amount” of vinyl siding cleaner you will purchase. Make sure to estimate square footage correctly. From the ground, eyeball the width and height of each side of your house.
Next, multiply those numbers, and add the four sides together to arrive at your total square footage of vinyl siding. Example: 30’ wide x 20’ ft. high = 600 sq. ft. x 4 sides = 2,400 sq. ft. total coverage required.
Simply compare the recommended coverage for the above vinyl cleaning products, and get the best vinyl siding cleaner based on your needs.
Will Vinyl Siding Cleaner Damage Landscape?
If you have flowers or vegetation surrounding your house, thoroughly saturate it with water before you spray vinyl siding cleaner. Consider protecting them during the cleaning process by covering them.
Most chemical cleaners are potent products that can do damage to your plants.
Speaking of Natural Surroundings – Check out our How-To Guide – How to build an in-ground fire pit.
Can Vinyl Siding Cleaner Damage The Siding?
Double-check that the vinyl cleaner you purchase is safe to use on Vinyl products and will not bleach or damage your siding.
According to the manufacturers, None of the vinyl siding cleaners in our review will damage vinyl siding.
How Can I Keep Mold & Mildew Off Vinyl Siding?
How to keep mold and mildew from returning to vinyl siding. Your house’s location determines the dirt you’ll likely encounter. Very Damp areas are more likely to accumulate mold and algae on vinyl siding, while dry or windy climates may produce a more significant dirt buildup.
One of the most common reasons for vinyl siding stains is the result of tree branches or large bushes located within a few feet or even touching the vinyl siding. Another issue is allowing grass to grow against the foundation of your house without using landscape beds.
Mowing grass against the house will allow grass spores to attach to the siding. You can count on that situation to increase the probability of mold and mildew on your house’s vinyl siding.
To avoid that problem, trim back any natural vegetation at least 4-5 feet away from your siding – to prevent future staining.
Safety Tips For Using Vinyl Siding Cleaner?
- Before cleaning Vinyl Siding, spray water with a garden hose and all your surrounding foliage. This will help protect the vegetation from any incidental contact with the Vinyl siding cleaner you will use.
- As an added precaution, you may also want to consider using plastic or tarps to cover any high-value plants, bushes, or trees.
- After you have finished applying all Vinyl siding cleaners, remove any covering you may have used to cover the foliage and immediately spray again with water any foliage that may have come in contact with the vinyl cleaner.
- Read the manufacturer’s instructions carefully when using any Vinyl siding cleaner. Make sure to use personal protective equipment. This harsh cleaning product should not be placed in contact with your skin.
- Wear complete protection: Use a proper respiration mask, safety goggles, rubber gloves, and a coverall jumpsuit or old clothing to cover arms, legs, and head.
How To Make Homemade Vinyl Siding Cleaner?
While the vinyl siding solutions in our review work exceptionally well, some folks may be opposed to using chemical-based products to clean siding, opting for a homemade vinyl siding cleaning solution instead. If that’s you, check out these household product recipes for making your own DIY vinyl siding cleaner:
- Mix 70% water and 30% white vinegar to make an excellent all-purpose vinyl siding cleaner. This solution removes less stubborn mold or mildew from the siding.
- To mix up a more robust solution, combine 1/3 cup of powdered laundry detergent with 2/3 cup powdered household cleaner, then add 1 quart of liquid laundry bleach and one gallon of water.
- If you are concerned about the surrounding vegetation, use a vinyl siding cleaner solution comprised of one gallon of water mixed with one cup of oxygen bleach in a bucket. Make sure it is labeled “Oxygen bleach” (never use Chlorine Bleach), as Oxygen Bleach will clean the vinyl but not damage your landscape.
- Also, don’t forget that one of the products in our review, “Simple Green,” is an environmentally friendly cleaner that can be used not only on vinyl siding but also on aluminum, as well as stucco, roof tiles & painted wood. Simple Green is a non-toxic and biodegradable cleaner.
- While homemade non-toxic cleaning solutions will work, they are not nearly as powerful as chemical products for removing mold and mildew. Therefore, you may also need the use of a pressure washer when using homemade cleaners.
Try any of the Vinyl cleaners shown in our Reviews To Clean a Vinyl Fence
Many homeowners have asked the question; How do I clean Vinyl Siding without a Pressure Washer? Hopefully, now you can see from our article the answer is YES!
With today’s best viny cleaning products, Such as RMR-86 or Wet-And-Forget, you spray on the vinyl cleaner (Per Manufacturer’s Instructions) and walk away. No Pressure washing is required.
To confirm, we recommend cleaning your vinyl siding once or twice a year, depending on your particular climate. And, because of the prep work and precautions required each time you use it, make sure you choose the Best Vinyl siding cleaner you can afford.
Then spray it on, sit back, and let the product do all the work for you.
With all the factors weighed in the balance, our product winner is the RMR-86 cleaner due to its versatility, ease of use, and fast-acting (almost immediate) results.
In 2nd place, Wet & Forget is a safe, slower-acting, less expensive (5-gallon yield vs. 1-gallon RMR-86) but a very close runner-up vinyl siding cleaner – assuming you can wait a little longer for optimum results.
Good luck with Your own Vinyl Siding cleaning project – Remember, spray It on and walk away!
If you’re having problems with mold in your house – check out our article on how to remove mold from wood and drywall.
Additional Reading & Resources
- Vinyl is Still The Right Choice for Siding – See Comparison Here – Vinylsiding.org.
- How To Clean Stained Grout – 3 Simple Steps – Besthomegear.com
- Best Garden Sprayer at Amazon to Apply Vinyl Siding Cleaners – Amazon.com
- Trim Tree Limbs Up Against Siding with a Cordless Pole Saw – Besthomegear.com
- Leaky Toilet? – Easily Replace Toilet Parts With This Diagram – Besthomegear.com