If you’re in the market for the Best Vinyl Siding Cleaner for your home, you’re in the right spot. We’ve all seen the dreaded “green monster” of mold or mildew on your neighbor’s siding, or heaven forbid – on your vinyl siding 🙂
Never fear, while each of the 7 products listed in our Vinyl Siding Cleaner Buying Guide works slightly different, every one of these cleaner for vinyl siding products makes it easy to remove mold, mildew, and dirt from vinyl siding. RMR86 Vinyl siding cleaner, for instance, is pre-mixed and ready to go, where
Cleaning a heavily stained vinyl siding can be a bit challenging. In time, with heat, humidity, and surrounding foliage, vinyl siding will eventually accumulate mold, mildew, dirt, or even algae.
If you’re witnessing any of the above vinyl stain conditions, your house has probably gone too long between baths. This is what the “Before & After” looks like after using siding cleaner.
Years ago, the only solution on how to clean vinyl siding would be to rent or own a Pressure Washer or scrub the siding with a soft brush and garden hose to remove mold from the siding.
Today, however, there is a much quicker, easier, and less expensive way to clean vinyl siding effectively.
Get your hands on one of the Best Vinyl Siding Cleaners below – from RMR-86 to Krud Kutter – These products are specially formulated for this specific purpose, and you will be amazed at how easy they are to use. (by the way, If you’re opposed to using a chemical-based cleaner, just check out the section at the bottom of this article “Homemade Vinyl Siding Cleaner”)
The Top 7 Best Vinyl Siding Cleaner You Can Buy
Quick Look: Best Choices in 2019
|Editor’s Choice||Runner Up||Best Value|
|RMR-141 RTU Mold Killer, Cleaner to Kill Mold, Inhibits The Growth of Mold and Mildew, Disinfectant and Cleaner, Kills 99% of Household Bacteria and Viruses, EPA-Registered Product, 1 Gallon||Wet and Forget 10587 1 Gallon Moss, Mold and Mildew Stain Remover||Mold Armor FG503 E-Z House Wash, 1-Gallon|
|$29.99||from $28.29||from $11.36|
|SEE ON AMAZON||SEE ON AMAZON||SEE ON AMAZON|
This product is advertised as a miracle cleaner, and it lives up to the claim. MR-86 cleans stubborn mold and mildew within 15 seconds or less effortlessly. You don’t need to scrub or brush, just spray the stained area, wait for 15 seconds, and watch the transformation begin.
Another thing we love about RMR-86 is its versatility, you can use it on any type of surface: wood, vinyl, concrete, fiberglass, and siding. Interestingly, it can penetrate porous surfaces quite well, without changing their color. It’s genuinely one of the best Vinyl siding cleaners on the market.
- Garden/Pump Sprayer – pre-mixed vinyl siding cleaner solution
- Needs no manual scrubbing
- Fast action
- A gallon cleans up to 400 square feet
- Works on different surfaces
- Expensive compared to some other brands
- Bleach agents might harm plants if not protected
If you don’t feel comfortable using a bleach-based cleaner, we’ve got you covered. Wet & Forget is non-acidic and non-caustic, you can use it safely on any surface without worrying as much about harming animals or plants.
The manufacturer does; however, caution users to rinse all plants before and after the application. Otherwise, you could see some temporary browning of leaves.
The Wet & Forget aim is to make your life easier and your cleaning smarter with a user-friendly – “spray and walk away” type product. Rain will eventually remove any residue over time. Just like RMR-86, there is no need for abrasive scrubbing. You will need a typical garden sprayer, and water to mix the recommended 5 parts water to 1 part Wet and Forget concentrate.
The “trade-off” from RMR-86 is that Wet and Forget is a more gradual cleaning agent, and while you should see results within a week, Wet & Forget requires up to 3 months to fully remove stubborn stains.
Wet & Forget is still considered one of the very best vinyl siding cleaners on the market, especially if you have time to allow the product to do its job, and you want the simplest method.
One precaution to keep in mind is the weather conditions. If the product hasn’t fully dried, rain would rinse the product away before it activates. Also, windblown debris may lead to an unsightly outcome. Just pick a clear day.
- Garden/Pump Sprayer – For Wet and Forget – Mix 5 parts water to 1 part Cleaning solution and apply to vinyl siding.
- Covers up to 2,000 sq. ft. with 5 gallons of mixed product.
- Safer for plants
- Requires No Scrubbing
- Takes longer to work. Up to 3 months to entirely remove stains
This is a cleaner that’s dedicated to outdoor use. All you need is to spray the product, wait for 10 minutes, and rinse it off. The 64-ounce bottle can clean up to 4500 square feet, which is pretty ample space. You can also purchase with a handy spray adapter included. Watch Mold Armor E-Z House Wash in Action below:
As one of the very best siding cleaner formulas on the market, it quickly removes mold and mildew stains without scrubbing. Your exterior will regain its old luster instantly afterward, and you can dilute it for use with more mild stains if needed.
- Garden/Pump Sprayer – pre-mixed vinyl siding cleaner solution – Or Garden Hose attachment
For best results, we recommend applying Mold Armor as a pre-mixed solution and using a garden pump.
- Great mold & mildew remover
- Doesn’t fade paint or vinyl
- Bleach odor (can harm plants
- Needs separate applicator
The name sums it up, Spray & Forget cleaner is one of the most natural siding cleaners to use. While best results from users were those used on vinyl siding, the manufacturer also claims it is effective on wooden and metal surfaces, and especially roof shingles.
For those who have environmental concerns, Spray & Forget is listed as non-corrosive; it has no bleach, acids, lye, phosphates, or heavy metals. Making it an eco-friendly product by definition.
The non-corrosive formula doesn’t require scrubbing or washing to get rid of mold and algae. Moreover, Spray & Forget boast that their product will keep your roof clean for 6-9 months after using it.
- Mix Spray and Forget solution: 1 gal. water to 22 oz. part solution and apply with Garden Sprayer
- Environmentally friendly
- Takes time to work
- Needs re-application
Simple Green is an all-purpose, biodegradable, environmentally friendly siding cleaner. It was developed for multi-purpose contractor jobs, which explains its versatility. It can be used on a multitude of surfaces; Vinyl, wood, metal. It removes grease and mold efficiently.
The biodegradable properties mean it’s entirely safe for use both outdoors and indoors. No need to worry about your children or pets. The fragrance-free claim is a little misleading, however. The product smells clean, non-chemical, but it does have a noticeable cleaning product odor.
Worthy to note is that it’s a concentrated product, 1 gallon of Simple Green for Vinyl Siding can produce about 64 mixed gallons. You should dilute it according to the type of surface you’re using it for and the type of stains.
Also, with its safer more gentle approach cleaning solution, Simple Green does not attack mold and mildew like the more potent formulas above. This is a soft and more environmentally friendly approach to vinyl siding cleaning.
- Mix Simple Green Solution; 64 part water to 1 part solution 64:1
- Needs no respirator
- Biodegradable & safe
- Best when used with a pressure washer to remove mold
- Doesn’t remove stubborn stains
Who said you have to pay a fortune for a good cleaner? Krud Kutter House Wash destroys this myth by being a perfect cleaner for people on a tight budget. It’s a bleach-free fast-acting siding cleaner that you’ll be pleased to use.
“Sporex” in a unique additive inside the Krud Kutter proprietary formula. It is said to dissolve algae, mold, mildew, and fungus stains, making it an excellent product to wash vinyl siding.
The product is biodegradable and safe to use around vegetation as long as you wash them before and after use. A necessary precaution is that you shouldn’t let the product dry on the surface, you should rinse it after 10-15 minutes.
- Garden Sprayer – Mix 19:1 Water to Solution and apply to vinyl siding.
- Removes gray weathering, oxidation, chalking on vinyl or wood
- Works better with a pressure washer
- Might need to add mild bleach solution to remove stubborn stains.
Tired of getting on a ladder to reach your roof and tricky places where mold finds a home? This version of 30 Seconds Cleaner solves the problem with its brilliant Hose End Sprayer built right into the container.
Use this product by attaching the bottle to your garden hose, adjust the sprayer, and simply apply to your siding.
You won’t need to scrub the product after spraying. Just spray it on, wait 10-15 minutes then hose it off. Be careful to calculate the right amount of product based on the size of your house. Our link is for a 3-Gallon Pack which will only cover up to 1200 sq. ft. of vinyl siding.
It’s better to have a little too much, than not enough product to finish what you started.
- Garden Hose – Applicator included
- Hose attachment allows for easy application
- Needs no scrubbing – No Garden sprayer required
- Paying for convenient applicator – Pricier than some other choices
Important Factors to Consider
Type of Vinyl Siding Cleaner
Most Vinyl Siding cleaners are formulated to just spray on and walk away, leaving a duration of 1 – 3 months before achieving full results. Other products we’ve reviewed, simply require hosing the siding off with water about 10-15 minutes after the chemical spray has been applied. These products cost more due to full-strength application and more limited coverage of your house. However, the spray and hose off products work almost instantly. Whichever type of siding cleaner you choose, these specially formulated mold and mildew removers do fantastic work, and in a short time, your Vinyl Siding should look as good as new.
Size of your home
The size of your home determines the “amount” of the vinyl siding cleaner you’re going to purchase. Make sure to estimate square footage correctly. From the ground eyeball the width and height of each side of your house. Then multiply those numbers, and add the 4 sides together, to arrive at your total square footage of vinyl siding. Example: 30’ wide x 20’ ft. high = 600 sq. ft. x 4 sides = 2,400 sq. ft. total coverage required.
Simply compare the recommended coverage for each of the above vinyl cleaning products, and get the best vinyl siding cleaner based on your needs.
If you have flowers or vegetation surrounding your house, make sure to thoroughly saturate with water before you spray vinyl siding cleaner, and consider protecting them during the cleaning process by covering them. Most chemical cleaners are potent products that can do damage to your plants.
Type of Siding
Double-check that the vinyl cleaner you’re going to purchase is safe to use on Vinyl products, and will not bleach or otherwise damage your siding.
Types of Stains
The location of your house determines the kind of dirt you’ll likely encounter. Very Damp areas have a higher probability of accumulating mold and algae on vinyl siding, while dry or windy climates may produce a more significant buildup of dirt.
One of the most common reasons for vinyl siding stains is the result of tree branches or large bushes that are located within a few feet or even touching the vinyl siding. You can count on that situation to increase the probability of mold and mildew.
To avoid that problem, simply trim back any natural vegetation at least 4-5 feet away from your siding – to prevent future staining.
Safety Steps Before Using Vinyl Siding Cleaner:
- Before you begin cleaning Vinyl Siding, make sure to spray water with a garden hose, all your surrounding foliage. This will help to protect the foliage from any incidental contact from the Vinyl siding cleaner you’re going to be using.
- At this point, and as an added precaution, you may want to also consider using plastic or tarps to cover any high-value plants, bushes, or trees.
- After you have finished applying all Vinyl siding cleaner, remove any covering you may have used to cover the foliage and immediately spray again with water, any foliage that may have come in contact with the vinyl cleaner.
- Read the manufacturers instructions carefully when using any Vinyl siding cleaner. Make sure to use personal protective equipment, this is a harsh cleaning product that shouldn’t come in contact with your skin.
- Wear full protection: Use a proper respiration mask, safety goggles, rubber gloves, and a coverall jumpsuit or old clothing to cover arms, legs, and head.
Homemade Vinyl Siding Cleaner
While the vinyl siding solutions in our review work exceptionally well, some folks may be opposed to using any chemical-based products to clean siding, opting for a homemade vinyl siding cleaning solution instead. If that’s you, check out these household product recipes for making your own DIY vinyl siding cleaner:
- Mix 70% water and 30% white vinegar to make a good all-purpose vinyl siding cleaner. This solution removes less stubborn mold or mildew from the siding.
- To mix up a more potent solution, combine 1/3 cup of powdered laundry detergent, with 2/3 cup powdered household cleaner, than add 1 quart of liquid laundry bleach and one gallon of water.
- If you are concerned about the surrounding vegetation, use a vinyl siding cleaner solution comprised of one gallon of water mixed with one cup oxygen bleach in a bucket. Make sure it is labeled “Oxygen bleach” (never use Chlorine Bleach) as Oxygen Bleach will clean the vinyl but not damage your landscape.
- Also, don’t forget that one of the products in our review “Simple Green” is an environmentally friendly cleaner that can be used not only on vinyl siding but also aluminum, as well as stucco, roof tiles & painted wood. Simple green is non-toxic and biodegradable cleaner.
- While homemade non-toxic cleaning solutions will work, they are not nearly as powerful as chemical products for removing mold and mildew. Therefore, you may also need the use of a pressure washer when using homemade cleaners.
Incidentally, the vinyl cleaning products in our review – work equally well on Vinyl Fences!
We recommend cleaning your vinyl siding once or twice a year, depending on your particular climate. Because of the prep and precaution required each time you use it, make sure you choose the best Vinyl siding cleaner you can find. Then just spray it on, sit back, and let the product do all the work for you.
With factors weighed in the balance, our product winner is RMR-86 cleaner due to its versatility, ease of use, and super fast-acting results. Wet & Forget is a safe, less expensive (5-gallon yield vs. 1 gallon RMR-86) and a very close runner up assuming you can wait a little longer for optimum results.
Thanks for Visiting BestHomeGear.Com and Good Luck on Cleaning Your Siding!
Additional Reading & Resources
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count:
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Thanks for your feedback!